When are we getting Marshmallow update? :{
alejicara

Android 'M'", it was officially released in October 2015 and we have not received the update.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When are we getting Marshmallow update? :{
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

alejicara,

Thanks for reaching out to us here about your software update. We all know that updates are nice to have. As we do work with the phone manufacturers in getting the updates to be released, we don’t have specific release dates. They are sometimes put out in waves. When the update does become available, you will receive an alert on your phone to perform. You can also keep a look out by clicking here http://vz.to/1VuPLD2. Are you having any issues with your phone that we can help with?

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yell at Samsung.  Verizon doesn't make the final decision on when updates are finished.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jgheld
Enthusiast - Level 1

Samsung released the update already.  Verizon just has to send it out.  However, they choose to modify it and bloat it.  Which takes time.  If you had an unlocked phone using a Verizon sim, you could have Marshmallow.  The delay is 100% on Verizon.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No they haven't.  Each and every phone model is a specific build for that model.  You can't just dump the build for the S7 on the Note 4.  The international update is incompatible with the AT&T model, the Verizon model, etc.  Each build is compiled independently from the others.  Samsung chose to focus first on their money makers phones being actively sold first after that it is a tossup on which models get updated next and it is easily months between the first international build for the newest phone to the last phone they are willing to pay for their employees and certification testing to complete the builds.  There could be easily 200+ different versions of the update a small team has to do.  How long would you expect someone to take to complete 200+ projects that take several weeks each to write, internal test, incorporate carrier specific apps, certify with government agencies and component manufacturers, compile the final build and get final technical approval from whichever carrier the build is intended for?

http://www.htc.com/us/go/htc-software-updates-process/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jgheld
Enthusiast - Level 1

I stand corrected.  I didn't realize that it worked exactly like that.  Thanks for the clarification!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

alejicara,

Thanks for reaching out to us here about your software update. We all know that updates are nice to have. As we do work with the phone manufacturers in getting the updates to be released, we don’t have specific release dates. They are sometimes put out in waves. When the update does become available, you will receive an alert on your phone to perform. You can also keep a look out by clicking here http://vz.to/1VuPLD2. Are you having any issues with your phone that we can help with?

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
derrickc

Ann,

I would be inclined to believe that if it wasn't for the fact that there was an AT&T setting option under the advanced WIFI settings in the original update of 5.1.1 to the Verizon Note 4.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3606724&d=1452534779

If every phone has independent software development, how was this possible?  Simple answer, they don't.  5.1.1 for Verizon was nothing more than a modified AT&T version and they missed something.  Notice it's not there now?  Yeah, the update in February took care of that.

To be honest, I'm ok with that.  They are all similar platforms, makes since not to reinvent the wheel.  I just wish someone would make a move whether it be Verizon or AT&T.  Whoever moves first the other will be sure to follow closely behind.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Samsung is just plain slow in getting out updates. For example http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/17/att-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-finally-get-marshmallow/

0 Likes
MadVerizonUser

When [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] freezes over. Verizon and Samsung are pitiful when it comes to updating phones.

0 Likes