Re: When will the Marshmallow update be released for the Note 4?
Tidbits
Legend

Verizon isn't always last is the problem. Like Ann she linked above.

Some people finished faster than others. Carriers don't touch the code. They give the stuff in advanced to manufacturers and then the manufacturers incorporate the new things into their base rom. When they are finished they submit it for testing. Pass it is pushed out. Failed it goes back to the manufacturer for fixing.

Manufacturers love this deal. Carriers get blamed for delays. Manufacturers get more money due to these options which allows them to sell less product to break a profit quicker.  Apple products for example make no such deals as to partly why iphones are more expensive. Doesn't also include the fact Apple has physical stores, physical employees, and inventory at these stores.

vjlupo

Yeah, the responsibility for when we get updates lies with both the carrier and manufacturers. We've seen what happens when an update gets pushed out too fast, once recently from Samsung and twice recently from Apple. So I don't mind so much that Verizon is almost always last because I would rather not be the beta tester.  I trust them to be a bit more careful in making sure that the update is ready for prime time.

0 Likes
Bigsteelguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Now while Verizon dwindles their fingers and waiting for days and weeks before they release another update, AT&T just now released the MM update for the LG G3. That's a phone that is 2 generations older. So [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] is taking so [removed] long? My guess is they are holding off as long as possible so people will buy a new phone with MM instead. This is called GREED! Verizon doesn't care about supporting their phones at all, especially the Note4 or the 5. I'm sure they will sensor this post as they don't like listening to the opinions of their customers. They know how much they hate us! But love our $$money. Look how long it took for them to release Lollipop 5.1.1 which finally fixed the issues a lot of people had with the Note4. We got that in Jan of 2016, that's really messed up for what they did to us.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

And LG released the Marshmallow update for the Verizon LG G3 back in March 2016. You are pointing fingers at the wrong company. Samsung is who is working on the update not Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JohnC118
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Some people finished faster than others. Carriers don't touch the code. They give the stuff in advanced to manufacturers and then the manufacturers incorporate the new things into their base rom. When they are finished they submit it for testing. Pass it is pushed out. Failed it goes back to the manufacturer for fixing."

You have that so wrong its laughable. Google makes the code.. releases it to the manufacturer, the manufacturer will test to make sure it works on their devices.. the manufacturer then releases it to the carriers.  The manufacturer doesn't make individual builds for different carriers, that's up to the carrier to incorporate their bloatware. The carrier doesn't send its added bloatware to Samsung for them to test, that's hysterical.

Verizon it last on updates 99% of the time because they can.  They have by far the largest most reliable network and therefore the most customers so that is their leverage to get away with it.  They most likely want to wait and see what issues the other carriers have before having their customer support dealing with things. They basically don't care what customers think about waiting for updates.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

JohnC118 wrote:

"Some people finished faster than others. Carriers don't touch the code. They give the stuff in advanced to manufacturers and then the manufacturers incorporate the new things into their base rom. When they are finished they submit it for testing. Pass it is pushed out. Failed it goes back to the manufacturer for fixing."

You have that so wrong its laughable. Google makes the code.. releases it to the manufacturer, the manufacturer will test to make sure it works on their devices.. the manufacturer then releases it to the carriers.  The manufacturer doesn't make individual builds for different carriers, that's up to the carrier to incorporate their bloatware. The carrier doesn't send its added bloatware to Samsung for them to test, that's hysterical.

Verizon it last on updates 99% of the time because they can.  They have by far the largest most reliable network and therefore the most customers so that is their leverage to get away with it.  They most likely want to wait and see what issues the other carriers have before having their customer support dealing with things. They basically don't care what customers think about waiting for updates.

Do you really want to go into this?

http://www.htc.com/us/go/htc-software-updates/

Just one of the many MANUFACTURERS who says YOU ARE WRONG.

If you look at it in short just look at step 7 and step 8... especially step 8 where is says

"HTC Incorporates carrier modifications into code"

Do you THINK manufacturers would give multiple carriers around the world their proprietary code and ALLOW them the modify it?  Name one manufacturer that has.  If you bring Google up... Even they protect their proprietary code, and yes Android is Open Source... To a point... You can keep your code proprietary.  Android isn't GPL for that very reason.

FYI Sony, Motorola, and HTC showed their update process, and they are so similar the only difference is the names of each process.  So I don't see how LG, and Samsung would do something drastically different when they are more protective of their code than any other company.  There's a lot of people on the open source community will tell you this.

So laugh all you want because... You and a lot of people are wrong, and the manufacturers have said you are, and show you the proof which people have ignored for the past 3 years.  Shows how ignorant and childish you are.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Here's what I mean by proprietary and why it is ASL and not GPL

This is the reason why Google does testing prior to release.  They want to test all their apps work, and that they comply with the licensing agreement so they can keep their proprietary apps on the device. Yes this is ONE of the reasons Google is in trouble in Europe as they see it as Anti-competitive.

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/the-current-state

Key notes listed

This also means that big companies likes Google, HTC, Motorola, and whomever else can add their own pieces to it and share these pieces under whatever license they choose.

The issue that’s raised is the redistribution of Google’s proprietary applications like Maps, GTalk, Market, and YouTube. These are not part of the open source project and are only part of “Google Experience” devices. They are Google’s intellectual property and I intend to respect that

These you can download and use but they are proprietary, and you can't reverse engineer or modify them without chance of litigation

Running Builds | Android Open Source Project

Downloading proprietary binaries

You can download official binaries for the supported devices running tagged AOSP release branches fromGoogle's Nexus driver page. These binaries add access to additional hardware capabilities with non-open source code. To instead build the AOSP master branch, use the Binaries Preview for Nexus Devices. When building the master branch for a device, use the binaries for the most recent numbered release or with the most recent date.

0 Likes
Earl9049
Enthusiast - Level 1

Your answer was not really useful at all. The link tells me I received my last update on 02/05/16.  I already know I have that 1. The question is when is Verizon going to release 6.0 to us? Quite making excuses and give us a date for release.

Earl9049
Enthusiast - Level 1

This was meant for the Verizon response earlier.  LOL

0 Likes
Rawndart
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree. I asked the same question on Facebook yesterday, and they posted the same [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] link.

ANSWER THE [removed] QUESTION.

0 Likes