When will the Note 4 be released in Alaska?
aksuperj
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, Best Buy accepted my deposit for a Note 4, only to tell me on the pickup date, that this phone had not been approved yet for the Alaska market due to possible HD Voice issues. I can't get any more info, other than "We hope it's released soon". Any ideas what the delay is for, and if/when we will actually be able to purchase and activate this phone here in Alaska? I'm eager to switch providers, and give Verizon a shot, but this phone is the deal breaker. Any information or updates would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When will the Note 4 be released in Alaska?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Aksuperj,

We are so excited to hear that you're wanting to join in the VZW family! Currently in Alaska you you can purchase a 4G LTE data-only device or HD Voice-capable smartphone  to use on the VZW network.  Here is a list of current HD Voice Capable devices/Advanced Calling 1.0 below: We have no info on when the Note 4 will be an HD Voice Capable device/Advanced Calling 1.0. Keep checking our Adavanced calling page for compatible device updates http://vz.to/1wOa28d .

• LG G2
  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Droid Maxx /Droid Ultra
  • Droid Mini
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus

PamelaF_VZW

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Aksuperj,

We are so excited to hear that you're wanting to join in the VZW family! Currently in Alaska you you can purchase a 4G LTE data-only device or HD Voice-capable smartphone  to use on the VZW network.  Here is a list of current HD Voice Capable devices/Advanced Calling 1.0 below: We have no info on when the Note 4 will be an HD Voice Capable device/Advanced Calling 1.0. Keep checking our Adavanced calling page for compatible device updates http://vz.to/1wOa28d .

• LG G2
  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Droid Maxx /Droid Ultra
  • Droid Mini
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus

PamelaF_VZW

aksuperj
Enthusiast - Level 2

So is the Alaska network HD Voice only? We would like to think that if Verizon is going to become a player here, that we would receive the same products, and support that are offered elsewhere in the country. How is it that this phone is available to those subscribers of your service everywhere but here? I'm just curious as to the difference between your service here in Alaska, and what is available to the rest of the country. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your desire for more services in Alaska aksuperj! Be assured that we are always expanding our services and products as much as possible and everywhere we can. We do not know when or if other specific products will be available in Alaska in the near future, and it would be unfair and irresponsible to set the wrong expectations. We'll expand services and products to Alaska just as soon as it is possible.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
aksuperj
Enthusiast - Level 2

I Sincerely appreciate the prompt responses, but this still doesn't answer my question. How does the new network created in Alaska differ from the network in the rest of the United States?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

aksuperj,

Thank you so much for reaching back out to us. There is no difference in the network between what was created in Alaska and the rest of the United States. The voice features in Alaska will work on the Advanced Calling 1.0 instead of relying on the extended network with the other local carriers. The list of devices that Pamela shared with you would be the ones that have the ability for Advance Calling 1.0 at this time.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

B33
Legend

kevinr_vzw   How much of Area if you can share Does Verizon cover in Alaska.?  I have a Cousin that lives in Anchorage..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

B33,

That is a great question. I have the answers that you are looking for. You can always check out this link: http://vz.to/1sSIEjt Once you are on that link you can click on 'Check Your Coverage'. I hope that is helpful.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Thank ya We'll have a Look.. kevinr_vzw  I sent out a request to D.M. can I give ya shout when you have some free time I'd appreciate it. 

0 Likes
Pfalmer

I was in a similar situation to you. I wanted to switch over to Verizon and get a Note 4, but they said that they wouldn't let me because I'm in Alaska. I've talked to a bunch of different people at Verizon online, in person, and over the phone, and none of them have a good idea of what's going on, but I was able to cobble together a pretty good idea from the little bit each one knew.

Basically, the Note 4 doesn't have the software to use Verizon's LTE network. For some unknown reason the S5 has it, but the Note 4 doesn't. They're waiting on Samsung to update the software whenever they get around to it, that's why no one at Verizon has any sort of timeframe for when it'll get done. The reason that this affects Alaska more than the lower 48 is because they just built the entire Alaska network, so every tower here is LTE. In the lower 48 the Note 4 just runs off of the 3G towers, but there are no 3G towers in Alaska. If you get a Note 4 in the lower 48 and then bring it up here you will just roam off of ACS/GCI/AT&T.

I was on their website a few weeks ago and it wouldn't let me add one to my cart because I said I was in Alaska. I clicked the button to chat with someone for help and after typing back and forth with him for a little while he helped me get around the restriction order one. All I had to do was tell the website that I was somewhere in the lower 48, then once I added the thing to my cart switch back to saying that I was in Alaska. Worked great. They sent me the phone and it showed up two days later. The only problem was that when it showed up the sim card wouldn't activate. Since the Note 4 can't do Verizon LTE, and all the Verizon towers in Alaska are LTE, the phone can't activate. From what I can tell, if I could get the phone to activate it would then be able to roam off the other networks and function fine, but to do that I would need to either take my phone to the lower 48 so it'd be near a 3G Verizon tower, or possibly put my sim card into another Verizon phone that does work on LTE (like maybe the S5) to activate the sim, then switch it back to my Note 4.

Hopefully this helps you a little. The Verizon people answering you seemed to be giving you the run around. If they're not going to tell you anything, it'd almost be better if they didn't answer at all.

Good Luck

0 Likes