Re: When will the Note 4 be released in Alaska?
aksuperj
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Pfalmer, I appreciate the info. Much more than I was able to get out of anyone, including responses from Customer Service that you can read above. When you switched back to Alaska to complete your order online, did it allow you to activate a 907 number, or did they assign you a number for the market you claimed to initiate the order? Also, as far as activating a SIM, perhaps taking one from a local Galaxy S5 and then placing it into a Note 4 may allow it to function off of the other network as you described? The majority of my use would be on the North Slope, where Verizon is still roaming off of the ACS network. That's my hope anyways. Have a new Note 4 waiting at home for me, and will be testing out the SIM swap soon. I'll keep you posted, and if you find a work around, please, keep me informed.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Alaska doesn't use CDMA for voice or texting like the rest of Verizon's areas. So CDMA phone won't work in Alaska. Alaska is LTE only thus you need a phone that can do VoLTE the 6 phones listed are the only ones that currently offer that but that list will grow.

0 Likes
aksuperj
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alaska Communications is a CDMA network that has been running up here for decades. I'm currently using a CDMA Galaxy S3 with their service. Verizon phones have always roamed off of that very same network. The new exception being the LTE services that they have recently installed around most major Alaskan cities. Where I work on the North Slope Oilfields, many Verizon customers from the States, and new Alaskan Verizon customers as well, get the same coverage as myself, as they still roam off of Alaska Communications towers. My roommate has a Galaxy S5 that was activated here in Alaska on the new LTE network, and it works just fine here.

aksuperj
Enthusiast - Level 2

Suppose I should specify that all CDMA roaming is on the 3G network.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Alaska Communications in not Verizon now is it? Verizon is moving away form CDMA no sense in spending millions building a CDMA network in Alaska at this point. Verizon network in Alaska is 100% 4G LTE so you need 4G LTE devices that can handle VoLTE.

0 Likes
Not applicable

aksuperj wrote:

Suppose I should specify that all CDMA roaming is on the 3G network.

And Verizon doesn't use 3G for calls or texting it uses 1x.

0 Likes
aksuperj
Enthusiast - Level 2

who said anything about Verizon building a CDMA network here in Alaska? There is already a pretty well established one in place operated by......Alaska Communications, which Verizon roams on anywhere their VoLTE doesn't cover, which happens to be a LOT of Alaska. Will it last forever? No, but for now, in a lot of locations that many Verizon customers work and travel, there is EVDO signal, which I was still under the impression was considered 3G. And no, Alaska Communications is certainly not Verizon now, as you seemed to almost snidely ask. They are now in direct competition with each other, but while they are still playing nice, everyone will reap what benefits they can. Appreciate the input though.

0 Likes
aksuperj
Enthusiast - Level 2

ANd just to clarify, I do recognize the fact that the calls and text services are on the 1X signals. The EVDO data just comes in handy in places where there is no 4G coverage.

0 Likes
Pfalmer

It gave me a 907 number because I switched back to Alaska as soon as I added the thing to my cart. I would love to put my SIM card into a Verizon Galaxy S5 to get it to activate and then put it back in my Note 4. So far as I can tell that would work perfectly. The Note 4 still wouldn't be able to use VoLTE, but it would activate and function as a normal phone. Unfortunately the only person I know that has a Verizon phone is my wife. We got her an iPhone 6 about a month ago. It uses a different size SIM card tho. My only other thought is maybe I could go into the Verizon store and borrow one of their phones for a few minutes. I don't know if they'd let me tho. If you get yours to work let me know.

0 Likes