When will the firmware update for the Note 4 be released to support the Gear VR?
Mihos
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will need to look at purchasing on another device on another carrier depending on timing.    (Cross checking the Oculus and Samsung dev boards as well)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When will the firmware update for the Note 4 be released to support the Gear VR?
Mihos
Enthusiast - Level 3

Note 4 update just showed up for my phone a few minutes ago.  Installing now. They really need to communicate these things with the support agents so they can communicate better with us.  We need information to make decisions.  I can say right away, a Verizon device will never be my lead platform for development for this reason alone. Especially when the script for response leads to a link to a page that has nothing to do with phones, much less firmware update information.  This is, in fact, the NJ5 update, so it should work, I will verify for the support techs and the community when I get back to the lab. (I eat lunch sometimes, contrary to popular belief.)  Thanks for whoever prioritized this internally.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: When will the firmware update for the Note 4 be released to support the Gear VR?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mihos,

The update has not been announced at this time. You can keep up with operating system update releases here: http://vz.to/1tDjEBG

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
CGWelch

So, any ideas on when that announcement may be?  Is it just VZW that is behind on supporting Samsung on this or all carriers?  sigh

0 Likes
Mihos
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is not a single thing about firmware updates at that link, not even under search..... unless it was buried in the tailgating suggestions article and I missed it.

I don't know why it is so hard to just say the expected ANJ5 update is due to begin December 18th depending on quality checks and signoff.

0 Likes
Mihos
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can confirm the T-Mobile and ATT Note 4 are working fine with their OTA updates and Gear VR.  We were lucky enough to get loaners on those networks, so I don't need to use my personal one for development.

Still, between this and the non-news about the Note Edge release date.  it is really, really hard to explain why I am here.

0 Likes
Christoph29

I have not heard anything either. Ive talked to several Verizon technical support members but they just avoid answering it directly which leads me to believe it wont be soon. I would do what I will be doing as soon as I leave work today. Heading over to At&t and porting me number over to them so I can use my Gear VR.

0 Likes
Mihos
Enthusiast - Level 3

Note 4 update just showed up for my phone a few minutes ago.  Installing now. They really need to communicate these things with the support agents so they can communicate better with us.  We need information to make decisions.  I can say right away, a Verizon device will never be my lead platform for development for this reason alone. Especially when the script for response leads to a link to a page that has nothing to do with phones, much less firmware update information.  This is, in fact, the NJ5 update, so it should work, I will verify for the support techs and the community when I get back to the lab. (I eat lunch sometimes, contrary to popular belief.)  Thanks for whoever prioritized this internally.

0 Likes
Christoph29

Thank you!! I would never of known if i hadn't seen this. I was about 3 hours away from porting to AT&T also.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mihos wrote:

Apparently it was JUST released. http://www.droid-life.com/2014/12/10/verizon-galaxy-note-4-update-vru1anj5/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Mihos
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the link, I was aware of some of the 'under the hood' stuff, but just now noticed the non-optional software additions.  Not pleased with that at all.  I am convinced that Verizon could boost it's subscriptions about 20% by announcing a 'no bloat' policy.  That would be worthy of a Super Bowl ad.  All it does is delay releases and annoy users.  Maybe they are getting kick back revenue from these 'features' some how that offsets their maintenance and development costs.... good for them... too bad for us.

0 Likes