When will unused data be able to roll over to the next month?
Ginachu
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is extremely wasteful to have to pay for the data.  Some months you used it all and then some and get charged 15 for using 10 MB over your plan,  Not even a GB, which might be worth the extra 15.  And other months your used hardly any data.  When is Verizon going to listen to their customers and let us roll over unused data??  Like they used to do with the unused minutes years ago.

0 Likes
Re: When will unused data be able to roll over to the next month?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Ginachu,

We know that having the best plan for your usage is important! VZW allows you to change your plan at anytime. If you have months were you used more data then you can change the plan to accomodate the additional data with no contract extention. The following month you can go back down if you are going to use less data. Only takes a few minutes via MyVerizon http://bit.ly/xB4iTc  to change the plan.

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ginachu
Enthusiast - Level 1

PamelaF_VZW,

Changing plans monthly is cumbersome.  In addition, I don't know which months I'll use more or when I'll use less.  There is no way to manage that in a way that makes sense.  Making data rollover is the simplest option.  Of course Verizon seems to want to charge you for every action, even if I go over my data for just a couple MB.  IF I had rollover that wouldn't be a problem, but Verizon wouldn't get their gold.

PamelaF, I know you're just a customer service rep.  But is there any talk of switching to rolling over data?  If not, I'll pay my early termination fee just to go to a provider that provides what I need and want.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

This is from earlier this year, but you may want to do your own research:

Verizon: Don't expect us to offer a data rollover plan - CNET

Also this is from 2014, but I believe it is still current (to help you figure out your ETF's):

"$350

Now, however, according to the new policy, if your contract term "results from your purchase of an advanced device on or after Nov. 14, 2014, your early termination fee will be $350, which will decline by: $10 per month in months 8-18, $20 per month in months 19-23, and $60 in the final month of your contract term."

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Data rollover in theory sounds great.  Say ATT's  plan has 10GB a month.  Say you only use 5GB that month....you get 15GB the next month.  Say you don't use 15GB and only use 5GB again....you start with 10GB all over again the 3rd month. 

All that to say...on Verizon if you have a 10GB plan and need 10.5GB, you pay $10-15 (depending on plan) for 1GB over.  The next month you decide to up it to 15GB for $20 more.  You get 4GB more for $5 more.  Now, is that 1GB overage really worth $10 when the next tier for 5GB more is only $5 more?  No....but if you go up in data plan Verizon makes more money.  Almost like a bundle deal...pay a little more to increase the profit margin and they give you more data that really doesn't cost $50 ($10 per 1GB.)

Verizon doesn't offer rollover because that does not make Verizon more money.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I believe AT&T only holds the data for 2 months. So if you don't use it within that time frame you lose it. So some people may expect they have 10GB and go over only to find out they only had 2GB and now have $80 in overages.

I have to double check their policy.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Here it is. It's one billing period. Hardly all that flashy.

Rollover Data on Mobile Share Value plans: Unused data from the monthly plan allowance rounds up to the nearest megabyte (MB) and carries over for one billing period. Unused Rollover Data automatically expires after one billing period or with any plan change (such as changing data amounts or termination). Unused overage data does not roll over. Rollover Data is used after your monthly plan allowance.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yeah, 1 month.  Essentially, if you dont use all thats left over from month 1 in month 2 you start over with the base amount on the 3rd.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Pretty much useless for myself.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It would be good for someone like me who never gets close to 1GB.  I'd always have spare data every other month.  Also remember that, at least on GoPhone Prepaid, data is unlimited, though throttled after the LTE cap.

0 Likes