Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why Has My Data Usage Tripled Since The System Update?
Huntressbear

Why has my data usage tripled since system update on Samsung Note 4.  I've gotten several texts saying I'm over.  We never go over our 2GB as we have WIFI at home and work.  Google photos setting is to back up on WIFI only and it used close to 3GB!  What is going on and how do i prevent future "background" overages?   I restricted them in the app.  It is absolutely ridiculous that I'm suddenly hit with overages that weren't caused by my actual usage (meaning that I was physically doing something that used data!)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why Has My Data Usage Tripled Since The System Update?
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Did you check the settings in the Google Photos application after the last update? It might have reverted back to allow cellular uploads. Did you check the data usage on the phone itself to see what other applications are using the data? Is the settings to switch to the cellular data connection if the wifi is poor is turned off?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Huntressbear

No.  I've never had an update chew through data and didn't know to do so.   of course I checked my phone and apps when I started receiving overage texts. it would be nice to be warned not to update (not sure we gave that option) or the RIGHT thing would be not to charge customers for this.  I didn't actually USE that data.  my husband and I never go over our 2GB.  How did this even happen when I had my settings to back up ONLY on Wifi?  I'm pretty upset and was looking at contact end dates to switch to one of the $45 per line UNLIMITED everything .   $200 a month is crazy. ..especially when other carriers are charging less for more service .

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Even an application update can change the settings of how and when the application connects to the Internet. Just because you didn't change how you used the phone doesn't mean that the applications didn't change how it functioned.

If you are not on the New Verizon Plans, you should switch to it and enable Safety Mode. You won't be charged for overages again.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes