Re: I have a Note 5 and did a software update last night
j-batchelor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Random behavior quirks I've seen since I upgraded:

• "Oculus System Activities" randomly throws a message that it has stopped, even though I haven't launched it in a couple months.
  • Extremely laggy ... to the point of being unresponsive.
  • Message+ : Messages I try to send get stuck in "Sending" with no notification if they fail or deliver.
  • Badges are not updating correctly. Facebook tells me I have 10 notifications, but when I open it on the device or on the computer, there are no notifications available.
  • Device is running hot. (If my phone decides to suddenly explode, do I get to sue?)
  • Battery time - prior to the update, I was able to get 6-8 hrs of normal use out of the device before I hit 20%. I've been off-charger, and gone from 100% to 73%, in less than an hour and a half, just today.

VERIZON: DO NOT GO SILENT ON US ABOUT THIS! At least let us know you're investigating these reports!

0 Likes
socram89
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hate that this has happened to so many of us but I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I thought I was going crazy or that i had a virus on my phone, but my wife reminded me that all of this started happening after I installed the latest update. It sucks having to do a hard reset but I'm all for it if it fixes the battery draining issue and stops the lag when texting in message+. My question is what do I do after I've done the reset...do I reinstall the latest update???

MitchHerd88
Enthusiast - Level 2

**SOLUTION** After vising numerous websites throughout the day trying to find a resolution without having to "factory reset" my phone, I came across an article with step by step instructions on how to resolve our issue.  Reluctantly I gave it a shot and I was pleasantly surprised with the results.  The step by step instructions are down below.   Now keep in mind the steps described below are actually for the Samsugn Galaxy S6 but it worked just the same with the Note 5. The process is called a WIPE CACHE PARTITION,  You will need to restore your voicemail messages, text messages, photos and videos but that was super simple as it was just a click of the button and everything was back to normal. You will be asked what apps you want to retain and this gave me a great chance to get rid of the apps I don't use. After completing the steps below I no longer have a quirky phone that heats up, whose battery drains, or has odd occurrences with functionality.  Here are the steps and good luck:

If you have problems with your smartphone or issues in the manner as described above, then you can try to solve this with a so called Wipe cache partition. This method deletes temporarily system files. Are these temporary files incorrectly, they can cause problems and errors. That's why it makes sense to perform a wipe cache partition to delete them on the Samsung Galaxy. 

1. Turn off your Samsung Galaxy Note 5 completely.

2. Then you have to press the following keys to turn on the phone on again: Power On/ Off Volume + Home button If the Samsung Note 5 vibrates once, release the power on/ off button but keep the other two keys from the key combination pressed until a small menu appears on the screen.

3. Now mark the entry "Wipe cache partition" with the volume down key.

4. With the power on / off button the entry can be selected selected and the process gets started. This usually takes only a few seconds. Then the previously displayed menu appears again.

5. Now select the first entry with "Reboot system now" and run the command again with a press of the power button.

7. Your Samsung Note 5 will now reboot.

8. That's it. The reboot can now might take a few seconds longer. After that no more errors such as overheating, black screen or battery drain should occur with your Samsung Galaxy Note 5.  You now know how to solve problems using a wipe cache partition on the Samsung Galaxy S6.

Source: http://www.solvemix.com/index.php/android-smartphones/533-samsung-galaxy-s6-perform-wipe-cache-parti...

Android Smartphones

© Solvemix - quick tips, tricks and solutions

0 Likes
HIGHTECHGEEK
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes MitchHerd88 is correct. I called Samsung yesterday and they walked me through the same fix of turning my phone on by holding down the three buttons (Power+Volume up+Home key) and choosing "Wipe Cache Partition" from the boot menu. i came back here to post the answer but it looks like MitchHerd88 beat me to it! 🙂

My phone is usable again.

Samsung told me you wouldn't usually clear this system cache as it's used for troubleshooting and for technicians to find logs and stuff. But he said after a system update, it's okay to do this so the old files get deleted and no longer interfere with the new ones.

This is not the same as deleting your application caches from the Application Manager. This can only be done through the special boot menu.

Worked like a charm!

0 Likes
HIGHTECHGEEK
Enthusiast - Level 2

By the way this is NOT a factory reset or a hard reset (which is useless troubleshooting advice).

And, in case you're wondering, "Wiping Cache Partition" didn't lose any user settings or data on the phone, so it's safe and non-destructive.

Samsung said they were getting tons of calls on this problem.

Glad there's an easy fix!

0 Likes
mamagriff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just attempted to do this fix & now my cell is downloading something but I have no idea what's going on.  My phone won't allow me to turn it off either Smiley Sad 

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

How is it useless? Enlighten us in the tech world.

0 Likes