Why can't I get voice mail on my Note 5?
lalionne50

I opted out of Visual Voice mail and now can't get basic voicemail on my phone. It alerts me once that I have a

voicemail message, but nothing is in there. I then have to call *86 to retrieve the message. Grrr.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: unable to get voicemail on Note 5
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

lalionne50 wrote:

I am hitting "Voice mail". I expect to see a notice with the phone number and then be able to

hear it. I'm assuming Visual Voice mail is Voice to Text? Guess I'm remember my iPhone, but

I should at least see that I have a voicemail.

Visual Voicemail on Android comes in two "flavors" - basic and premium.  Premium is voice to text; basic visual voicemail is what you are expecting when you tap the voicemail icon. (Yeah, it's confusing)  If you want the voicemail icon to work and show you a list of voicemails, callers, etc, and be able to listen, then you do want the BASIC Visual Voicemail, which is free.  You currently have the basic , very basic voicemail which requires you to dial in to get your messages.

View solution in original post

Tidbits
Legend

You opted out of visual voicemail of course you'd have to dial *86(or hold down 1) to retrieve them.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dialing *86 to access your voice messages is the only way basic voice mail works - so if you are dialing *86 to retrieve the message, then basic voicemail is working.  When you say "nothing is in there" - where are you referring to?  (Since yiou said you can retrieve the message by calling *86).

The Voicemail Icon in the Verizon suite of apps is for Visual Voicemail, and if you have opted out or disabled it, then you won't get anything by tapping that.  Access to basic voicemail is by calling in to *86.

0 Likes
lalionne50

I am hitting "Voice mail". I expect to see a notice with the phone number and then be able to

hear it. I'm assuming Visual Voice mail is Voice to Text? Guess I'm remember my iPhone, but

0 Likes
lalionne50

When I hit the voicemail icon, it opens the inbox. Like I said, I expect to see that I have mail. Right?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Your inbox will show nothing because you disabled visual voicemail. How is visual voicemail going to work and "visually" display your inbox with the core function of it being disabled?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Visual voice mail = seeing who called, how long the message is all without listening to the message.

Voicemail to text is different. It transcribes your messages.

What you have right now is basic voicemail which you dial in to listen to it.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

lalionne50 wrote:

Visual Voicemail on Android comes in two "flavors" - basic and premium.  Premium is voice to text; basic visual voicemail is what you are expecting when you tap the voicemail icon. (Yeah, it's confusing)  If you want the voicemail icon to work and show you a list of voicemails, callers, etc, and be able to listen, then you do want the BASIC Visual Voicemail, which is free.  You currently have the basic , very basic voicemail which requires you to dial in to get your messages.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

This may help, and may help to confuse you further....

Voice Mail Comparison | Verizon Wireless

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iPhone voicemail is by default a visual voicemail system run on the Apple servers. It isn't the same thing as the Basic (non-visual) Voicemail for all the other Verizon Wireless phones.

If you want something similar to the iPhone voicemail, then you should subscribe to the Basic Visual Voicemail which is free as another poster already noted.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.