Why isn't my device charging normally?
Anmanwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all.  I just got my note 3 last week Monday.   I've been noticing some charging issues.   Using the rapid charger that came with my device....if I turn my phone OFF and leave it to charge over night it will only be at 99% in the morning when I turn it on.  It quickly goes to 98 or 97 within a minute and I haven't even had time to check my emails!   Now IF I leave the phone on I can get it to charge to 100%?   Odd??  Also sometimes when I plug the charger in it won't start charging right away until I give it a wiggle.  I spoke to Verizon rep who is sending me a new battery.  I will see if that makes a difference, but I would prefer to not have to go exchange for a new device if I don't have to because I just had a nice tempered glass anti fingerprint screen protector put on.  Has anyone here experienced any of this?  Thanks!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Charging issue
JRAHNBO2
Contributor - Level 2

If you turn your phone off its going to drain a certain amount of battery to boot up, load the apps and services, and do its synchronizations just like a laptop would. I'm not sure it helps anything to power it down ever unless you're having a problem the requires a reboot.  As for having to give it a "wiggle" it sounds more like a connector issue either on the phone side or charger side. Would be interesting if the battery fixed it but hope it does.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
JRAHNBO2
Contributor - Level 2

If you turn your phone off its going to drain a certain amount of battery to boot up, load the apps and services, and do its synchronizations just like a laptop would. I'm not sure it helps anything to power it down ever unless you're having a problem the requires a reboot.  As for having to give it a "wiggle" it sounds more like a connector issue either on the phone side or charger side. Would be interesting if the battery fixed it but hope it does.

0 Likes
Anmanwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply.  I got the new battery yesterday.  I powered down to charge at 10pm last night & turned it back on this morning at 5am.  It was at 99% and immediately went to 98.  I never considered that a device like this would use battery power to power back up but with its size that makes sense.  Though i used to turn my note 2 off every night and it was always at 100% when turned back on.   I've always powered down my devices at night.  Is the common thinking that you shouldn't?   Thanks for the help! 

0 Likes
JRAHNBO2
Contributor - Level 2

I'd say its personal preference now days. It used to matter one way or the other.  The power down crowd would say you're saving electricity plus starting fresh each day and the leave it on all the time crowd would say it does more harm powering it down all the time because it is stressful on the system.

Either method now pretty much cancels each other out because the charging systems are much more advanced and I'd tend to lead toward it still being a little stressful on the hardware too reboot all of the time, but not by much. So personally I leave it on all the time unless their is a specific issue prompting a reboot such as the phone is getting laggy, an app is acting up, etc. I do put the phone in airplane mode at bedtime though to give it a little break and more-so to curb my temptation to check my phone every time the LED blinks blue.