Will unlocked Note 9 be added to the open certified devices list soon?
pecosROB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wanted to pre-order an unlocked Note 9 but want to be able to use it on Verizon. I am a current Verizon customer and do not want to have two phones but one that I can use with different sim cards in case I'm in an area where Verizon does not have good coverage (like I did this past week for my job).

If I preorder the Note 9 I will need to trade in my device on the day it is available and I wanted to see if the Note 9 will be immediately added to the list or not - I know in the past with some phones there were hiccups or delays before Verizon would allow people to bring in a phone and activate a sim card on the phone. I'm assuming I can just use my current sim card but I don't want to base my purchases off of assumptions.

0 Likes
Re: Will unlocked Note 9 be added to the open certified devices list soon?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Samsung would need to submit it for certification. It might already be in process, but we won't know until the model has been added to the list of certified devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

fuejo4u
Contributor - Level 1

Why not get it from Verizon since phones are unlock? Carriers use different frequencies and air interface technologies to provide wireless network access. A device that works on one carrier's network may not be compatible with another carrier's network.

Samsung Galaxy Note9 | Verizon Wireless

pecosROB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I need an unlocked version so I can use it on Verizon and pop in a sim card for another network when I have a bad/no signal when I'm out in the field for work.

fuejo4u
Contributor - Level 1

Most of VZW 4G LTE devices are unlocked.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The policy was changed recently. Verizon will start locking phones to its network to prevent armed robberies | Ars Technica

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you being our valued customer already, pecosROB. I see why having an unlocked device is so important to you and want to make sure we have a great device in your hands that works for all your service needs while you're out in the field. Although the Note 9 has not been tested and approved for the Bring Your Own Device program at https://www.verizonwireless.com/prospect/bring-your-own-device#/ we are constantly working with manufacturers to open that option for you. Regrettably, I don't have details on if or when the Note 9 will be added to our list, but a Note 9 purchased directly through Verizon Wireless will not be locked as described at http://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy and you'd be able to swap compatible SIM cards with other local carriers after the phone has been activated onto our network. If you'd like to troubleshoot any service concerns you may be running into on the field as well, please let me know more about what you're experiencing and the model phone you currently have along with the zip code you run into trouble in. 

Jennifer_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

pecosROB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much Jennifer for getting back to me! To be honest I would prefer getting an unlocked version instead of a Verizon branded phone due to the bloatware. Wi-fi calling is very nice to have but it has also had bad quality lately on my S8+

If Best Buy does not accept phones that are paid in full that are bought directly from carriers then I will cancel my preorder with them and get one with Verizon since I won't have much of an option.

0 Likes
dtnel

If I order directly online from Samsung would the Note 9 be compatible and allowed to be used on vzw network? I don't like being locked into Verizon in case I decide we aren't working happily someday gajd decide to take my business elsewhere. It's been 18+ yrs I've been with Verizon so it probably won't happen but you never know and I don't want the phone to be carrier locked or the phone locked itself.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your loyalty over the last 18 years, dtnel. We hope that you will remain a Verizon customer for many years to come. Since the Note 9 was just released, the unlocked version has not yet been approved for our network. However, we do not lock our 4G devices. Once your phone has been activated on the Verizon network, you may use another SIM card in your device. Please refer to our Device Unlocking Policy here: http://vz.to/2ldKiRb for more information.

Lauren_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!