can't unlock phone after update
LAUSTR80
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just update to Marshmallow and now the phone requires a swipe pattern to unlock the phone.  Only problem is that I've NEVER SET ONE!  Now I can't get into the phone?  Any ideas?  finding info on Verizon's site is like pulling teeth.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: can't unlock phone after update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is a serious issue of not being able to get into your device and I am sorry to hear the anger this issue has caused, Laustra80. Let me help you gain access to your device. A fix for the issue is under review and will be included in the next Software Update (SU9.5) for this device. The tentative release date is under review. Here’s the that has been suggested:
1. Power Cycle device
2. Enter 5 wrong pattern attempts > prompt for PIN back up > enter PIN and unlock
3. If user has Samsung account- Log into SS account > select Find My Mobile > Unlock device

Let me know the results and if you need further assistance we can look into further troubleshooting steps if they are available to resolve the issue.

EdwinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

a swype pattern or just a swype??

if this is an s5, sorry to say but the master reset is the only way.

0 Likes
LAUSTR80
Enthusiast - Level 2

It wants a swipe pattern. It's a note 4, and I've already done a factory

reset. Angry doesn't begin to cover it. Permanently lost access to some

things that no longer recognize this device. Thanks anyway.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Were you using a fingerprint unlock before?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
LAUSTR80
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn’t use any kind of lock-out. That’s what makes this so infuriating. Just a simple swipe, no pattern.

Makes no difference now.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is a serious issue of not being able to get into your device and I am sorry to hear the anger this issue has caused, Laustra80. Let me help you gain access to your device. A fix for the issue is under review and will be included in the next Software Update (SU9.5) for this device. The tentative release date is under review. Here’s the that has been suggested:
1. Power Cycle device
2. Enter 5 wrong pattern attempts > prompt for PIN back up > enter PIN and unlock
3. If user has Samsung account- Log into SS account > select Find My Mobile > Unlock device

Let me know the results and if you need further assistance we can look into further troubleshooting steps if they are available to resolve the issue.

EdwinW_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LAUSTR80
Enthusiast - Level 2

Robotic answers that ignore the previous input from the user just make things worse.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LAUSTR80 - Having the latest software on your device will make it run and function better. I apologize that you are experiencing the lock screen issue and that you lost acess to some things on your device. What applications or services are you not able to acess now?  Since you performed the factory reset are you able to remove the patern lock screen? You can go to Settings>Lock screen>Screen lock>None. 

JacobV_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LAUSTR80
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue was resolved by me when I factory reset the phone as I already said.  it was a note 4 with no lock options set before the update.  After the update, the reset was the only way to gain access to the phone. 

0 Likes