cellular data not working during power outage
woodsgal54
Enthusiast - Level 1

I discovered during a power outage at my home that my cellular service is no longer working. I called customer service and they were worthless beyond the basics, but kept me on hold for half hour until I hung up. I troubleshot the issue from my ticket on verizon web page, which suggested pulling sim card. That did not work. Now during power outage I no longer have cellular service for emergency web page lookup to my power company, etc.. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: cellular data not working during power outage
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you checked with your neighbors to see if they also didn't have cellular service during the power outage? If they did too, it means either the cell tower or the back haul infrastructure was also down during the same power outage. A cell tower and fiber optic cables both need a power supply to operate. If the power utility lines aren't working, then there are usually a backup power supply like a generator is installed by the owners of the tower or the fiber optic system owner. Those backup systems either also failed or were damaged during the outage or weren't installed before the power outage. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, woodsgal54. We want to make sure you stay connected, and we are here to help. To clarify, are you still experiencing this issue? CourtneyM_VZW

FLOBRN
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had 2 power outages in the last 3 months. One for 24 hours and one for 10 hours. NO cell service during this time. A landline is not an option as Verizon will not install one. WHEN will this issue be addressed by Verizon. 

Zimmzoo
Enthusiast - Level 1

It happens to me every time the power goes out too 

sallys540
Enthusiast - Level 1

24 hour outage in my larger community and both my Husband and I, unable to text or use browsers in Samsung and Iphone cell phones...  This occurred during our last outage also... frustrating

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having access to your data is crucial, and we are here to help. Please tell us a little more, what model is your device and is the software up to date? Do you experience issues indoors or outdoors?

0 Likes
quaneygirl
Enthusiast - Level 1

Me too!  How do we get it fixed? I know it’s only my iphone because I also have an iPad and it has no issues.

quaneygirl
Enthusiast - Level 1

Both - I have the issue indoors, but I also have it when I’m driving around town.  Clearly - most of the time I have gone WiFi, but the whole point of the data plan is to have it when I don’t have WiFi.  Really feels like I’m being robbed.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to always have the ability to use our network. Tell me, can you provide a zip code, so I can review the area? Are you still having a power outage? What signal are you getting on your device? 

0 Likes