is the galaxy note 4 wifi calling capable on verizon?
hfischermn

is the galaxy note 4 wifi calling capable on verizon?

0 Likes
Re: is the galaxy note 4 wifi calling capable on verizon?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

There is nothing wrong with maximizing features. This device is not capable of wifi calling. My apologies.
BobbyN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jwbinder
Enthusiast - Level 1

hfischermn  What the kind Verizon man has stated is completely untrue.  The Note 4 is fully capable of wi-fi calling, but Verizon has the feature locked out in its firmware.  Several other networks, including Sprint, allow wi-fi calling on the Note 4.   Totally frustrating when I have such a poor signal in my basement (but good wi-fi) and at my place of work (also good wi-fi). 

deloused
Master - Level 3

It's true the Note 4 can make calls over wifi, however it's current software version is not compatible with the advanced calling technology used by Verizon and AT&T. It could get the software update in the future if testing is successful.

A work around in the meantime that some use are the plethora of 3rd party apps to use wifi for calls and messages. (Using the app's assigned phone number).

While Sprint & T-Mobile do include their Note 4 in their carrier wifi feature, and certainly they should to be competitive due to the overall size of their networks  but it's not working very well. They've had many issues with call and messaging failure, and call drops. Verizon and AT&T tend to wait to release new features and updates until they work well. Hopefully it ends up working well.

The other issue that could potentially pop up is due to federal regulations carriers are required to accommodate deaf customers, and since Wifi calling does not support TTY, and Sprint & T-Mobile do not have a approval from the FCC to get around it they may have issues offering wifi calling, especially if someone sues as there have been complaints.

Verizon & AT&T both obtained temporary approval to offer wifi calling from the FCC despite the hearing impairment requirement prior to launching wifi calling, and they're also both developing their video calling services to work across any carrier which should launch prior to their exemptions expiring which would fulfill the hearing impairment requirements.