Re: just got 5.1.1 update
Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

WiFi calling was enabled in 5.0.1 but you need to activate advanced calling on your account.  HD calling,  iirc only works if you and the recipient both have advanced calling enabled.

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

I activated Advanced Calling. Does the cell radio still need to be on for WiFi calling to work, even if there's no service?

0 Likes
Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

Never tried,  but as I understand how the feature works,  I do believe the radio needs to be on.   I know that kinda defeats the purpose in our minds,  but VZW designed the feature in my opinion to take load off the voice band. But I've  been wrong before.

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

I guess it's possible. Like I said before, I did notice superior quality on very low service, but only after 5.1.1.

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

Does anyone else notice how 5.1.1 seemed like an afterthought for Verizon? I think we all pretty much know for a fact by now that Verizon was planning on skipping 5.1.1 and going straight to 6.0. (It's the only thing that can really explain why the update took so long.) However, it's also known that, in order to get 6.0, we need to have 5.1.1 installed. It kind of seems like Verizon didn't actually know this, until pretty late on.

Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

If they really wanted to, they could add the updated bootstrap, kernel, and device drivers to 6.0 and skip 5.1.1.  However it is plausible they would need a driver or two to be updated first. 

A friend of mine in the UK is beta testing 6.0 on his Note.  He seems to have positive comments about it.

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

Do you really think Verizon would do something that required that much work? It looks like the current 5.1.1 build was just ripped from AT&T .

I can't wait for 6.0! All I can say is, it'd be great if Verizon was the first carrier to release it for the Note 4. If they aren't, it had better not come 4th, 3 months+ after the third carrier.

0 Likes
sll1313
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wifi calling is not enabled for the note 4.  It is only on s6 and s6 edge.  Advanced calling is available.  They are two different things.  Hope that helps.

Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

That's what I thought Smiley Sad.

0 Likes
nic_hitchins
Enthusiast - Level 3

luferbu wrote:

Did 5.1.1 enable wifi calling for the Note 4?

The verizon agent on chat is telling me that only s6 and s6 edge have the ability for wifi calling, and that any device launched without the option will not receive the option.  So, we're SOL on it. 

"The next time you upgrade, it should be available on that phone." 

0 Likes