note 4 restarts unexpectedly
Dwillian
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ever since the last update my note 4 has started freezing and then restarting unexpectedly. I've tried wiping the cache, a new battery, and I've tried doing a factory reset. The problem always reoccurs. Is there a fix?

0 Likes
Re: note 4 restarts unexpectedly
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

A device that is unexpectedly shutting off is a main point of concern, Dwillian. Thanks for reaching out as we would like to learn more and ultimately have this issue corrected. After you completed the reset, did you load the same applications you previously had back on the device? Have you attempted testing the device while in Safe Mode? If not, here are instructions: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-122810/

ChrisM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Dwillian
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have tried doing a factory reset (from the recovery menu), then running

setup on the phone but did not connect to my Google Account or to my

Samsung account (so only the preinstalled apps were installed), I then

restarted the phone into Safe mode. The phone still hangs and restarts

unexpectedly (although it does seem to take longer before this happens).

Sometimes the restart hangs, sometimes it restarts into the Maintenance

Boot menu, sometimes it restarts normally. After awhile it will then freeze

and will either recover or try to restart again repeating the cycle.

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 4:51 PM vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dwillian, let's work together to solve this power cycling issue with your phone. It is very odd that this is still happening after you did the Factory Reset and Safe Mode. Since this started after the software update, it appears that something with the installation went wrong. Then next step is to use the Software Repair Assistant. http://vz.to/1IIyriX Please connect your phone to your computer and try this. Let us know if this still happens after this.

JoelR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Dwillian
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used the Verizon Software Upgrade/Repair Assistant. That did not help. I

finally took it to the Samsung Experience section in my local Best Buy. The

Samsung representative reflashed the phone to a factory image. That did not

fix the problem. I then received an OTA firmware update. That did not fix

the problem.

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 5:11 PM vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dwillian, let's get your phone working again. Please reply to the Private Message that I sent you, so we can get this resolved.

JoelR_VZW

0 Likes
foxstudioz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue, the phone would stop functioning around 30% battery life, and the screen would flash, and restart, and keep repeating the restart cycle never making it to the point where the red Verizon logo appears. I was never able to completely fix it, but I figured out that charging the phone with it powered off is actually really helpful as it reduces the amount that this happens.

0 Likes
Dwillian
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update 4/21/2017: I finally contacted Samsung Customer Service (at 1-800-SAMSUG) and they said it sounded like a hardware problem. They said they would diagnose the problem if I would send the phone in to their repair center in Plano, TX. They said there would be no charge if they could not fix the phone and they provided free shipping to and from the repair center (I did have to allow them to put a $70.31 hold on my credit card). i sent the phone in and they diagnosed and fixed the phone.

I received my repaired phone today and I am ecstatic. Samsung repaired quite a few parts including the motherboard, home key assembly, rear speaker assembly, LCD assembly, the mid-frame, and the exterior frame that wraps around the phone (mine was getting chipped where the USB cable plugs in). Everything works great. The phone no longer freezes, overheats, or randomly reboots. My phone looks and acts like a brand new phone. It took about 11 days for the entire process (fortunately I had an old phone to use in the interim), but this was the best $70 I've ever spent. I think I can probably get at least another two years out of my Note 4. I would highly recommend that anyone having the problems being discussed in this thread contact Samsung Customer Service (at 1-800-SAMSUNG) ASAP. Make sure you let them know what you've tried to resolve the problem and that you are certain it must be a hardware issue (possibly caused by recent updates).

diagoro
Contributor - Level 1

Again, not everyone here is suddenly having hardware issues due to a software update. It's fishy at best....

0 Likes
Dwillian
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, not everyone is "suddenly" having problems. If you check a lot of the threads on the internet this problem has been occurring to various people at different times for more than a year now (see for example this thread dated March 31, 2016: Note 4 keeps freezing and restarting | Samsung Galaxy Note 4). Some were getting their phones repaired while still under warranty, others (like myself) weren't so lucky.

I agree that Samsung is likely responsible for either faulty hardware or faulty software updates, but we are unlikely to get them to take full responsibility. They have to take into account that these phones get dropped and even with a good case any drop can potentially cause hardware damage. I know mine was dropped from 2-3' on several occasions. Maybe that damaged my phone, maybe it was already failing. There's no good way to know if the failure is my fault or Samsung's. At this point I'm very happy that they agreed to repair the phone to like new condition for only $70. That is a real bargain IMHO.