Re: note 4 software update failed
eldonpelton
Enthusiast - Level 1

You might try to start your phone in download mode (home+power+down volume), then try the Software Repair Assistant again.

0 Likes
PSquared1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I hope you are still monitoring this thread.

I have two NOS Note 4s -  the first  OTA updated (4.X to 6.01) and ran for many years until it became corrupted. I acitvated the second one recently. It was at 5.01 and when Verizon shut down 3G - I lost the ability to phone. VOLTE is in a menu, but is not supported by anything less then 5.1. I've tried Smart Switch - it sees I need an update - downloads it - puts the phone in ODIN mode - the software never transfers, but the phone will reboot into 5.01. After downoading USB drivers with no change, I tried (again) with the phone in USB debug mode - VOILA - it started to transfer, but stopped dead at 3% and never moved after a half hour. Software repair does nothing And now it won't reboot back to 5.01 - stuck in UPDATE FAILED - but if I leave the battery out for 5 minutes, I can get it back to ODIN Download mode - but Software repair does nothing in either mode - there is no transfer progress.

I tried Verizon Updater and it quickly saw the problem and said it needed to factory reset it and repair the firmware. It downloads something (maybe 6.01) and looks like it might be trying a repair, but ultimately shows a device disconnected screen. It does this in both the UPDATE FAILED and ODIN Downoad screens (the only two I can get to so far).

When Smart Switch first failed to transfer the update, I noticed that the phone always appeared as a connected device on the PC (Windows 10) - UNTIL Smart Switch put the phone in ODIN mode - and then it dissapeared. I always wondered why and if that was the problem.  I am also suspicious of the USB drivers. If I look at the Samsunng Driver Events tab - I see this: "Device USB\VID_04E8&PID_685D\5&3095c79&0&1 requires further installation." under the  Device Install Requested event. I was unable to find what that specific message meant. The other two events associated with the Driver also look suspicious. It appears that in all of this that when it comes time to transfer the update, the Note 4 is not seen (except for the one time when It was until 3% and now does not reboot).

Any ideas what I can do now?? I see some people using ODIN 3 for flashing the OS to the Note 4 - but it's more complicated - and will it wotk any better - if the problem is the phone is not being seen?

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Are you still having issues with getting your device updated?

*Haley

0 Likes