Re: "Your Internet connection is unstable" on Note 3
sykadelic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not to be rude but YES as I stated in comment #25. I also commented on another "suggested solution" at #33.  This also did not fix the problem.

PLEASE stop repeating the same advice. It DOES. NOT. WORK.

All that "solution" does is use up the no-longer-unlimited data (we all know why it's not unlimited, no need for me to beat a dead horse) . Is this a ploy to wrack up bills? So we're forced to use Data instead of wifi? The lack of proper assistance is honestly starting to feel that way!

Why would you (collectively) not be posting "We're aware of the issue and are working with Samsung to fix it" along with an admittance on Verizon's website (and Samsung) pointing out they're working on the KNOWN issue and offering NO charges on data overage until it's repaired? That's the way to make customers happy. Admit there's a problem, acknowledge you're trying to fix it. Or roll back the update... which is what some people are reporting is when the problem began (I wouldn't know, my phone was received after that update rolled out).

msapak
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completely agree, sykadelic.

I received a replacement phone from Verizon last week. It shipped with the

MJ7 build, and worked fine for several days, UNTIL the phone installed the

MJE update. At that point, the problem returned, and I am completely

unable to use wifi at my house.

I've burned through 90% of my data allowance this month because of this

problem, and will almost certainly have overage charges this month.

I bought the Note 3 because I travel extensively and my phone is frequently

my primary device. The extra screen real estate is great, but without a

fix for this problem soon, I will be looking at alternative phones (on an

alternative provider).

steve1811
Enthusiast - Level 3

sykadelic:

I read your old posts and saw that your Bluetooth was not "enabled". Does that mean that is off, or just unpaired?

The reason I ask is that in my Note 3, having the Bluetooth button on (even if unpaired with anything) causes the WIFI problem. I tested my Note 3 again yesterday and simply toggling the Bluetooth button OFF makes the WIFI stable. Toggling the Bluetooth ON makes the WIFI unstable. It is repeatable on my phone, BUT, I know from reading many blogs that this solution may not work for many folks.

My issue started on 12/14/13 when they changed my software from SM-900V_MJ7 to MJE. I wonder if all Note 3 problems have the MJE software in common?   I also wonder if Samsung got in trouble with this version as a result of putting in hooks for their Gear watch?

My FCC complaint finally produced an after hours call and email from a Verizon Executive Relations person. But I called back and she is not responding to my multiple voice messages and emails.

My letter to the President/CEO of Samsung US also just got a (bland) mail response directing me to a Texas Customer Support Center. I will try that next week.

Steve

0 Likes
sykadelic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Steve181 - It's off. It's not paired with anything. I've tried it both on (but unpaired) and off and makes no difference Smiley Sad

I've tried several suggested fixes and nothing is working Smiley Sad My next solution is my husband buying a brand spanking new router (and it won't be cheap) to see whether the router is the problem (which is something else I read, that it could be old).

0 Likes
tabadamst
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lol.  You just gave the exact opposite advice of KevinR_VZW. 

"I know this could get frustrating very quick. We want to get this back on track ASAP. I do have a step that I would like for you to try. Go into Settings-> Wi-Fi -> Menu -> Advanced -> Check "Auto network switch" Test it out to see if you are able to keep that connection to your wi-fi. Please keep us posted."

steve1811
Enthusiast - Level 3

sykadelic:

Save your money. I tried a new router (netgear 4300 working perfectly), new modem, and switched from DSL to cable. No Change.

My ASUS transformer tablet running Android 4.1 or 4.2 works perfectly. When my Verizon phone says unstable connection on either of my 2 WIFI networks, the ASAS tablet works 100% perfectly.

This problem is definitely on their end (Samsung and Android/Google mainly, but Verizon also for giving us the runaround.)

I am hoping that Android 4.4 fixes it. I'm also hoping that someone with Class Action legal experience will surface.

Steve

0 Likes
msapak
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I finally hit the end of the road with Verizon support. I was getting

great support via Facebook with one of their social media support techs,

but after re-opening the case to report problems with my replacement phone,

they've decided it's a Samsung issue.

I don't think she's wrong, it really does seem to be specific to the MJE

build and certain types of routers. I just haven't had any luck with

Samsung, and I'm not hopeful.

0 Likes
steve1811
Enthusiast - Level 3

msapak:

For me it appeared on 12/14/13 when the MJE build was introduced .I had an old Linksys WRT54 router at that time. It did not happen between October (when I got the Note 3) and that point. After trying various cures,  I replaced the router with a new netgear 4300. That did not solve the problem.

If it is a router setting that interferes with something in the MJE build, I would hope that someone responsible for the hardware/software in the phone finds the exact cause and reason, and reports on a fix.

This does not reflect well on Samsung, Android-Google, or Verizon. After all these weeks we are seeing home cooked voodo-like remedies (e.g. un-check this or that box) and not anything authoritative from some technical source that actually understands the science of what is happening.

Since there are different variants of the bug, and some cures work for some and not others, I wonder if there are small hardware differences in the phones. For example, some may have different vendors or production runs of supporting chipsets (e.g. WIFI). I have seen this in other places. For example, I spent a month debugging problems in an RS232 to USB conversion cable, before I discovered that some brands of cables had this problem, and others (with FTDI chips) did not.

Anyway I wish that Samsung and Google applied some science to this and did not let us drift. 

0 Likes
msapak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Steve your problem seems identical to mine. I suspect you're right in that

various hardware variants are affected differently, since I've seen lots of

slightly different descriptions, and only a few people who are completely

blocked on certain routers.

Are you unable to connect to ANY wifi network? I can connect to many

different routers, but occasionally find one that doesn't work at all. In

the last few weeks of traveling, I'd say maybe 1 in 5 routers completely

fails for me. Unfortunately, that includes my home router, which is quite

new and not cheap to replace.

I believe I have an old router in the closet. I'm going to try throwing

that on my network tonight. It won't give me "n" speeds, but if might be a

workable bandaid until Samsung can get their act together.

0 Likes
steve1811
Enthusiast - Level 3

msapak:

I was able to connect 100% OK to the WIFI at our computer club, even with my Bluetooth on.

At my home, however, it will not keep a stable connection to either my 10 year old WRT54 or new netgear 4300 wireless n dual band router, unless the Bluetooth is off. Then it works 100% perfectly and has for several weeks. I'm lucky that this fix worked for me because its easy to turn on the Bluetooth when I get in my car. But it does not work for others.

All my other devices: 2 smart TVs, ROKU, Tivo, Asus tablet, Vista laptop, printer, have their WIFI work 100% perfectly to either router. I gave up any more debuging. The problem is in Samsung - Android's  court, although I also blame Verizon for wasting our time, and not putting pressure on their two suppliers.

Stevec

0 Likes