Re: "Your Internet connection is unstable" on Note 3
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want you to regret purchasing the amazing Note 3 Kronos! Are these difficulties occurring with more than one wifi source? Is this also affecting your cellular data connection? Did these circumstances occur from the beginning when you first purchased the device?

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
BigMcGuire85
Enthusiast - Level 3

As someone who bought their Note 3 a handful of weeks ago:

This happened the first night I bought the phone. I couldn't even get one app downloaded from the Google Play store for over three hours. I ended up having to use 300+mb on LTE to download all my apps. So, LTE is fine. WiFi I got almost 0 throughput. When I went home to my house, WiFi was better but incredibly laggy with very high latency. I couldn't get images to load on the Google Play Store unless I sat there for 15+ seconds. Streaming music on WiFi? Nope, I couldn't get more than 5-10 seconds on a song. At work, WiFi is better but still high latency - there is noticeable loading lag when doing anything on the phone via WiFi. On LTE everything acts like it should.

Since having the phone for 2+ weeks - I've turned off Auto Network Switch - that stopped the annoying warning every 5 seconds telling me that WiFi had no internet. I've Googled this issue and there are plenty of other Note 3 users having this problem. People claim it's antennas being too close - some say rooting and putting a custom rom on the phone helps.

I'm guessing it's a baseband kernel that's having problems because people claim after getting MJE that WiFi performance went to ****. This seems to agree with what I experienced because I was able to download the baseband update on WiFi but since getting MJE I couldn't do anything on WiFi.

But WiFi is definitely the sore point on this phone. Since almost everywhere I go is WiFi (Home, Work, Starbucks, College, Parent's House, Church, etc...) and I assume the same is for most people with Note 3s, it's a big issue that WiFi doesn't work as it should. Since most of us don't have unlimited WiFi anymore this is a big issue especially with a phone like the Note 3 where you do a LOT on it. Hence the outrage.

This WiFi problem seems worse on Netgear routers. On DLink routers I get the best WiFi performance. Throughput is not a problem, it's latency that's the problem because bandwidth testers show full speed but near 100-200 latency (terrible for WiFi).

As of now, I'm getting acceptable WiFi performance (I did a handful of things). I can now stream music, load webpages, but the latency is nowhere near acceptable for WiFi. But it's liveable for me because I love the phone so much. I also have been on networks other than Verizon and I don't think I could leave Verizon. So I'm not an "at risk of leaving" customer. Just trying to help. Smiley Happy

BigMcGuire85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Waited too long to edit a mistake: "Since most of us don't have unlimited WiFi anymore" should be - "Since most of us don't have unlimited LTE anymore"...

0 Likes
Kronos

Data is unaffected, although I do get a weak signal in my house. Wifi is

intermittent on any source, not just my home wifi. I receive the "unstable"

notification at home, at Starbucks, at a hotel and at work. Never had this

problem with previous Droid phone. Too many people seem to be having this

issue for it to be anything other than this phone combined with verizon.

On Mar 5, 2014 6:24 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi georgia.rebel08,

I am sad to hear about your the problem you are having with your Note 3. I can understand why you are upset. Thank you for loyalty! We surely do apprecaiate it. Since all the other phones in your home is working, I would believe that is related to just your phone. Have you tried pulling the sim card out for 60 seconds? http://vz.to/1kArc4C Keep us posted.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BigMcGuire85,

I honestly do value and appreciate your loyalty, I'm thrilled to hear you're not considering leaving us, we definitely don't want that to be the cause of it. I know it's important to have reliable wi-fi connection, however, that is not supported by us; it must be addressed by the provider itself. Nonetheless, we can help you rule out the phone as it's still covered under warranty if it's within a year and no physical damage.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

wizzzer

Have had same wifi issues as the rest of you and tried all the suggestions the experts have suggested.  I use Speedtest.net regularly to compare my 4G connection versus my home router.  Consistently I get 3 to 4 times more throughput using 4G versus any wifi I try.  Today it was 4G= 14 bpps down and 3 up.  Wifi=4 bpps down and 14 up.  Here is the crazy thing - I am using Verizon Home Fusion/Cantenna for my home wifi.  It uses the 4G network, too and I got less than 1/3 download speeds.  There is obviously a problem with the Note 3 wifi.

0 Likes
BigMcGuire85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah I have to agree. I'm pretty sure this is Samsung's fault if anything. Cheapening out on the WiFi radio or not enough QA before releasing the product. Who knows. I've read on some forums that people thought some radios were too close to each other thus causing problems... As long as there is no lawsuit I'm sure we'll just have to eat it.

I've grown used to the sub-par wifi performance. I've noticed that Netgear routers have the WORST wifi performance with the Note 3. Other routers (d-link, verizion fios wifi routers (not sure on brand atm), etc...) tend to work much better. Kinda sad for such an expensive phone but... oh well. Businesses gotta make their billions somehow.

0 Likes
oradba
Enthusiast - Level 2

Use wifi at work for my note 3, seems to work but vice a few unstable network warnings.  Disconnecting and reconnecting seems to fix.

0 Likes
trinitytg

Same issue on my week old note 3 and my wife's S4. I have Cisco and maraki ap's and have tremendous stability when I use my vzw 4g nexus 7.

0 Likes