why should I give Verizon/Samsung more money?
RickJ64
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought a Note 4 less than 18 months ago. That phone is now useless due to constant mmc_read failed error.

Verizon won't replace and Samsung says it is out of warranty. Verizon says they will sell me a new phone and a new 2-yr contract.

We should I enter a contract for another Samsung product???? You sold me a phone that lasted 18 months and is now a brick

0 Likes
Re: why should I give Verizon/Samsung more money?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

A phone is an investment and we want your device to be working again, RickJ64. Let me work on getting it fixed. The warranty on the device is specific by the manufacture of which is one year after the original purchase. After speaking with us about this device issue, have you tried a factory reset? Here’s the steps in the event this has not been done to try and get the device working http://tiny.cc/4lr2by . Let us know the results if the device does not restore and function as before.

EdwinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

After the one year warranty is up, you are pretty much on your own unless you have purchased the extended warranty.  Now, the issue I have with your post is the fact that Verizon does not do contracts, and they would not say they will sell you a new contract.  In addition, there are plenty of perfectly good devices not made by Samsung.  I would suggest you look into the HTC 10 or LG G5.  If you want something a little cheaper, last years phones are quite discounted at the moment.

0 Likes
RickJ64
Enthusiast - Level 2

been factory reset at least 10 times in the past 3 weeks, just so it could function.

including a factory reset in store.

my problem with issue is it a known problem with these phones. A five minute google search reveals many customers with a mmc_read fail issue. which is the motherboard, and renders the phone useless

0 Likes
RickJ64
Enthusiast - Level 2

my issue is you're playing a silly word game.

it is a 24 month device payment plan or commonly known by normal people as - a contract

thanks for the help

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Doesn't matter...

If you paid outright vs. a loan(aka contract or subsidy). Just because you subsidize something doesn't mean you gain extra protections.

RickJ64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits I am saying it SHOULD matter. I know and fully understand the agreement I entered doesn't allow me a new phone past warranty.

but at the same time, my phone is in excellent condition. It's been in a otter box since the minute it was purchased. I did not drop it, there is no water damage, it is not rooted, nothing has happened to this phone to cause the error other than a hardware defect.

as I said it is a common issue for this phone, but neither Verizon or Samsung are providing a remedy other than offering me the chance to purchase another new phone....that may or may not last more than a year

There needs to be a certain level of trust that something I pay over a purchase price and monthly fee for will last the length of my agreement under normal circumstances. I shouldn't need extra protection.

either provide me with a phone very similar to what I purchased or terminate the agreement. I shouldn't be required to fulfill my 24 month contract when the product you sold won't last until the end of the contract.

Making quality products and having the company who sold it to me stand by that product is not asking too much,

Needless to say my $200 per month will be going to a different provider in November

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

What about car loans then. If someone pulls a 6 year loan they should have a 6 year warranty over the guy who bought their cars outright or a lower year loan? C one let's be serious here. Carriers don't make the phones. They help you purchase the phones and nothing really more. Carriers actually prefer to be hands off, but people have these unrealistic expectations is why they started to sell phones especially with subsidization.

Tidbits
Legend

Different provider with the exact same way of doing things...  So yah it isn't about Principles....

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

RickJ64 wrote:

Tidbits I am saying it SHOULD matter.

Then you SHOULD not have entered into the agreement KNOWING that this is NOT the case. When you entered into the agreement, you confirmed that you had warranty coverage for the ENTIRE length of your purchasing agreement? No? Then it SHOULDN'T matter.

0 Likes