will there be a fix for the hd calling.
Ranger175
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in the mountains, where I can drive for 30 minutes and have switched towers 4 times. ranging from analog to 3g to 4g. hd calling will drop call every time. I have to turn it off, but then cant use internet. phone needs 2 antennas. verizon wont let me switch back to the note 4. Am I just out of luck or is there a fix coming.

0 Likes
Re: will there be a fix for the hd calling.
jd12
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is my understanding that HD calling locks your phone on lte or 4G at least that is the way my phone seem to want to work. I have tried it a few times but i am in a weak signal area so i just keep it cut off so my phone want have any trouble connecting to 1X for voice calling. The 1X signal is what the phone falls back to make a voice call. The LTE or 4G signal doesn't travel as far as the 1X signal or penetrates building as good as the 1X. Smiley Happy 

0 Likes
Ranger175
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand all that. I am in my truck most of the day, on the phone with

customers and needing the internet at the same time. with hd calling on, I

drop calls constantly, but can use the internet for work. hd calling off

means no dropped calls, but have to hang up to use internet. for being one

of the most advanced phones out there, it screws people in my situation. I

want to know if it there will be a software fix at all or is a second

internal antenna the only cure.

0 Likes
danwatson

I have horrible service as well after going from the Note 3 to the Note 5. I live on the edge of a service area as well and my phone would just switch to whatever frequency/tech could hold the call. Now, for whatever reason, it drops calls and if I go inside of a building, forget it. This is the worst coverage ever and I'm probably done with verizon if an upgrade doesn't happen this month. I can't switch from the note 5 to anything else either at this point so I might as well move to another carrier.

Maybe they are not using whatever spectrum offers better building penetration in my area with LTE which is why my service goes to 0 and I used to at least have something. I disabled the HD calling on my device and also called to disable it on my account. After that, it seems more willing to switch to 3g or 1x but obviously I  can't use data while on a call which absolutely sucks. Maybe wifi calling will be a temp solution if they would hurry up with it.

Also, I notice that when I'm on wifi, my cell standby still chews up all my battery. What the crap? I'm guessing since they only have 1 radio now (the Note 4 and previous had 2...1 for LTE and another lower power one for CDMA), It now has to keep the radio on just to make/receive calls. This is a HUGE battery killer having both wifi and your high power LTE radios on 24/7. What's up with this Verizon? Again, maybe WIFI calling will allow them to disable the radio

0 Likes
Ranger175
Enthusiast - Level 2

all the employees at the local verizon store play dumb and act like mine is

the 1st phone they have seen do this. what if any, will be the fix. or is

it not fixable with one antenna?

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 5:59 AM, danwatson <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
danwatson

I don't think there is a good fix for your situation. We will see how wifi calling works and if it switches seamlessly between wifi and LTE. That may help me a bit but if you are traveling in the mountains, it likely will not help you. I can access LTE (barely) in my area until I go indoors...then i'm screwed. But I usually have wifi access indoors so that may help. Verizon has decent LTE coverage in my area but building penetration is horrific with LTE vs CDMA. I wonder if they don't have anything using the 700MHz on these towers while CDMA had good 850MHz coverage. No clue but building penetration on LTE is nowhere near as good as the old stuff...and the Note 5 with Verizon does NOT let you use both since there is only the 1 radio. I'm feeling like I need to switch to a GSM carrier now. I'm a bit pissed that no one seemed to mention this fact before I purchased...kind of a big deal. How about educating your customers Verizon that you can no longer have both internet and phone unless you have a perfect LTE connection at all times. Before, I would have reliable CDMA calls and then most of the time could get data using LTE. Sure it would time out on the data if I was in a bad LTE area, but it would find a tower soon or I could use wifi as a substitute. I'd prefer to have my data cut out occasionally while traveling than my calls. With the amount of dropped calls I now get with HD calling enabled, I might as well be using a no name carrier for 1/3 the price.

0 Likes