-1 email issue
handrade

I did a search and didn't see any other topics related to this issue in the forum (forgive me if I overlooked something). I am also having the same problem with my email icon and I'm not sure if it's related to the AWFUL software upgrade that was pushed on us or why this suddenly occurred.

The email in question is a POP account through GoDaddy. I've tried removing my email account, then went to App Manager > All > Email and cleared the data and the cache, also cleared the cache and data from BadgeProvider because I had read somewhere that this could help. Then I rebooted my phone and set up my account all over again, but when I synched everything, the notification icon only showed 99 emails when there were actually 100 in my inbox. Tried to mark them all as read, icon reads -1. Tried deleting all the emails from my inbox and then from my trash folder, still showing -1.

It's started to get really frustrating! Any way I can fix this? I really hope only alternative isn't to do yet ANOTHER factory reset because that's not even something I'm willing to consider.

0 Likes
Re: -1 email issue
handrade

Still having the same issue. Any help or a solution would be very appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

so what's your problem, missing one email or all but one email deleted, maybe it's an issue with godaddy.

0 Likes
handrade

Hello:

As far as I can tell it's not an issue related to GoDaddy, but I called them about it a few times and they are equally as stumped. I've never had this problem until after my phone did the software update a few months ago, so I don't know if it could be somehow related to that.

I think the issue is more with the notifications. When I open the email app, there are exactly the amount of emails it says there are, but the notification flag on the email app icon says -1 as seen below:

Screenshot1.pngScreenshot2.png

But the strange part is that whenever I get a new email, I still get a notification in the bar at the top, but then it offsets the -1 email count and shows me as having no messages on the email icon:

Screenshot3.png

So say, for example, I have 2 unread emails in my inbox, then the icon flag will show me as having 1 email. I've done just about all I can think of and I'm having no luck Smiley Sad

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

how often are you having the email update....it might be between fetch's but i wouldn't worry about it.

i have all my emails(yahoo app, gmail & 2 pop3) sync & leave the mail on the server if deleted from pop3 email accounts.

0 Likes
handrade

If by update you mean the sync schedule, then I currently have it set to sync every 15 minutes (this is the shortest amount of time it will let me choose other than manual). I also have it set to "Never delete messages from server." I've tried just deleting all the emails on my phone (in both the inbox/outbox), but even when the folders are empty it's still showing -1.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that when I go to the app settings and turn off BadgeProvider, the flag disappears from the email icon shortcut on my home screen, but when I open up the apps list the -1 count is still showing on the email icon located there. No matter what I do, I just can't get the -1 email notification to go away and it's slowing driving me crazy.

0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

I had this same issue twice.  It is not related to the latest update because it happened to me over a year ago.  Only way I solved it was to completely delete the entire email account out of the stock email app, then add it back in.  It has something to do with deleting the email quickly while it is still downloading, messing up the count tag.  They should correct this in the programming by not allowing the counter to go below zero.  Really, who thought it was a good idea that you could have -1 emails in your in-box???

handrade

Unfortunately, I've tried completely deleting the email account several times and I even cleared the cache/data in the Email app settings, plus I cleared the cache/data in Badge Provider as I had read this could be a solution, but whenever I set up the email account again, I still come up an email short when the emails load/sync from the server.

I had also heard that it could be related to deleting the email too quickly, but I'm not sure if this is the case for me because as soon as I set up the account again, the email count is still off. For example, it should load up to one month of emails or up to the the last 100 emails received (whichever comes first). I'll wait for it to completely sync with the server before doing anything, but the icon flag only shows 99 unread emails when there are actually 100 unread in my inbox. It's really strange it shows me as being one email short before I've even touched anything

0 Likes