10/14/2014 Update + Random Restarts and Frozen Icons
4Doose
Enthusiast - Level 1

I updated a few hours ago and my phone wont stop rebooting every few minutes. Also my icons don't always work when touched. How do I go about fixing this issue without loosing my data or wiping the phone?

Thanks to anyone that helps.

Re: 10/14/2014 Update + Random Restarts and Frozen Icons
ninesunz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also get random reboots. The phone seems to be faster but i also get a frozen screen after unlocking sometimes.  Have to relock and unlock

0 Likes
ninesunz
Enthusiast - Level 2

So i just disabled power saving and phone hasn't rebooted yet, it's been 45 minutes.

0 Likes
Raffi_B
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have the same problem. After installing the update my phone is freezing, it restarts automatically and its very slow.

0 Likes
m-w-c
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here -- reboots during app updates, Calendar alarms, and phone calls. Phone nearly unusable.

0 Likes
flervaflerv
Enthusiast - Level 2

A VZW rep responded to a similar thread. Thought I would share in case you haven't seen it. It may be a pain, but after a factory reset, the issue has gone for me. 9+ hours without a restart yet. Back up your data (if you don't normally) and give it a go...to me it beat the hassle of a non-working phone and trying to get it replaced. Which, let's face it, is unlikely to have accomplished.

0 Likes
NachoJoe2217
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can confirm that a factory reset will fix the issue. I'm 3 days in after doing a FR and have had no issues. It's a crappy solution to a problem that should not have happened, but at least I can use my phone again and move on.

0 Likes
de8212

Same issue.

I guess I will back up things and do a factory reset over the weekend. 

Never done one so is there a good guide on what all I need to back up and how to do it???

0 Likes
flervaflerv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure of a guide, but it is a pretty straight forward process. I will put the steps below and help as I can while you are going through it all. (should be around for a majority of the evening)

1. Using Verizon's Backup tool, I backed up my contacts to their cloud by opening the app, and selecting to only back up contacts. If you don't have an SD card, you can also use this to backup your pics, but the time it takes is fairly significant...also, make sure you are on WiFi to avoid data overages.

2. because I am forgetful, I took screen shots of my home screens and saved them to my SD card as well to be sure I had a majority of my layout (and apps) so I wouldn't have to write out a list, or go through the lengthy Google Play list of apps tied to my account.

3. I copied my pics/video to my SD Card (the SD card is not effected by a Factory Reset).

- If you don't have an SD card large enough, or if you want to use something other than Verizon's cloud, you        could always use Google drive or MEGA (50 GB cloud storage for free....) for your pictures, again...might want to be on WiFi for all of this. You may also want to make not of other settings you know you had to set, just to be sure you get the phone back to where you had it.

3. Settings > Accounts > Backup and Reset > Factory data reset.

4. Let it do it's thing. If it is in a fully enclosed case, you may want to take it out (could feel th e warmth from the processor going hard from processing everything)

5. When it restarts for the "first time" it will offer to bring in your contacts from the cloud, re-login to your samsung account, and all that good stuff..

6. get to downloading apps and configuring...don't forget to turn off whatever bloatware you don't want Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
de8212

Thank you for your help.  I may not get to this until late tonight or tomorrow night though. 

I have all my contacts as google so even if I don't back them up, wouldn't they be there after I reset the phone and then add my gmail?

Not too many pics and videos so I can back them up.

I do have a 64GB card in there with some music but probably have ~50GB free or more.

I guess one of the things is alot of my apps that are configured to connect to my work network (VPN with ip addresses, etc.)  Is anything going to back those up?

0 Likes