After 4.1.1. update, can't connect to my PC
nbardach

Begining immediately after the 4.1.1 update, my phone will only connect to my PC as an installer.

When I plug in the stock USB cable (or any other USB cable) the phone displays the message "Connected as an installer". My PC then shows a directory listed as a CD drive (it's a CD image stored on the phone) with 6 files, including several EXE files. None of these seem to do anything or resolve the problem.

The connection is also very unsteady. The phone repeatedly disconnects and reconnects. At no point can I change the USB mode.

This is one of several things that broke when I updated to 4.1.1.

If anyone out there has a solution or workaround, I would be very grateful. It would be a lot more than anything Verizon Support has been able to do.

Please advise. Thanks!! Noah

0 Likes
Re: After 4.1.1. update, can't connect to my PC
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello nbardach,  Let's make sure you can make full use of the USB and get your data transfered!  Have you tried installing the latest drivers for the Galaxy S III at http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-I535MBBVZW. Click "All Downloads" and then at the bottom of the page click "Software" and download the .EXE file.  Please let me know if this helps keep you connected.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
adorkasherri
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried installing the new driver, that did not work. Restarting my phone and computer also doesn't work. I'm experiencing the same problem since the update. Files do not transfer from my pc to the computer. It will attempt to, but it's very slow and eventually cancels out.

0 Likes
JJMex

For what it is worth, I have 4.1.1 and have not had any such issues.

0 Likes
LinuxNinja

Also, could be a USB driver issue with your motherboard's chipset.

Try updating all of your motherboard's firmware/BIOS/drivers. I've run into this before.

0 Likes
nbardach

Thanks for your response. I have downloaded and installed these drivers to no avail.

0 Likes
nbardach

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. I've been using AirDroid and it's a fantastic work-around. I still expect, however, that I shoudl be able to connect to my PC via USB.

Maybe the solution would be deleting the CD image from the phone. AirDroid provides access to the entire file structure. Does anyone know where the CD image is stored? I don't want that useless software on my phone any way.

0 Likes
DZMan

One of my Galaxy S III's will not connect or be seen at all from any computer since Update. I have 3 of the same phones (2 my kids) so I am able to do more trouble shooting then only having a defective on to try. I also have 6 computers to try.

So anyway, I have two of the phones working find since update and are seen by the computers fine.
One phone wont be seen at all now after the update, Since I am able to try the other phones on same systems I know its the PHONE. I factory reset it twice also. Nothing works. The computer will not see it at all, But it still charges.

Just An FYI Incase its the same problem. I am going to call them and hope to get it replaced. I can't find anywhere what the warranty is on the phones though there site.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon DZMan. I am sorry to hear that you are still having issues with your computer recognizing your Galaxy S3. I agree with your conclusion that since it works on your other two S3's, it has to be a device issue. I would hope that a factory reset would fix it, but if you have tried it twice by following these steps, http://vz.to/LfV00q, I would hate to do have you do it a third time. The factory reset is our last step in troubleshooting as this usually rids the device of any corrupt files that may be causing the issue. If you have tried the factory reset twice, then I would like to look into replacement options. Any device you purchase through us comes with a one year manufactuer's warranty. So as long as you've had the device for less than a year and there is no physical or water damage, then we can replace the device for you at no cost. If you are outside of the warranty, do you know if you have insurance on the device? We can look into placing an insurance claim as well. Please let me know if you need any additional assistance.

NickB_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
litolpea

I have the same issue, and have not been able to solve it.

My phone was connecting to both PCs fine (windows 7, 64bit)

you plug it in, it shows up as a PTP, or an MTP. (i would RATHER it show as a drive, like the old Droid X, which i do not understand why this is not an option to mount the VZW versions of Galaxy as a drive...but anyhow)

I updated to 4.1.1, and it was still the same...HOWEVER, the battery was being drained constantly. I could not get a day's use out of it.

So after all of the searching and speaking with reps, it was determined a clean install/factory reset was needed.

So i did.

1. this did NOT solve the battery issue. my phone is less than a year old, and the battery under Jelly Bean 4.1.1 is being drained in well under a day with very normal to little usage. i will unplug it from a full night of charging and it immediately sinks to 98% and keeps draining.

2. now when i connect it to the PC, on one PC it will show the "Connected as Installer" issue, and mount as a CDrom. I am unable to delete these files (why?) and they go away too quickly to determine where they are located...THEN it shows up as a PTP or MTP.

3. on the other computer, it will not show at all. it only charges. USB ports are working fine on the computer, and know my phone DID show fine until i did a factory reset.

what am I missing here Verizon?

0 Likes