After Software Repair Assistant - Everything is gone?!
JulesB123
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just did the Software Repair Assistant, and now my phone is completely empty! How do I get all my contact/pics/downloads/games/apps back on my phone?!?!?!?!?!? Are they on my computer somewhere? Help!

0 Likes
Re: After Software Repair Assistant - Everything is gone?!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello JulesB123, we understand the importance to get all of your information back! Let's get to the bottom of this. When running the repair assistant, there is an option that says to "Select the information to backup". Were you able to select the information you wanted backed up? After that process it will erase everything and automatically restore the selections. If it wasn't selected, do you have your contacts/ pics, and information stored via computer or backup assistant? Here's steps to restore using backup assistant: http://vz.to/1ktfska Keep us posted!

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
wdfarmer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a related question:  What happens if the Repair Assistant is run on an encrypted SCH-I605 Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2?  (I'm running Android 4.4.2, with the built-in 16 GB internal flash, plus a 64 GB external SD flash card.)  I did so, and it appears that the phone was reset to an unencrypted state and is operating again, but is missing my music, pictures, and documents.  My guess is that they're all gone because they stayed encrypted.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for providing this insight, wdfarmer. Is it only the material from the SD card that's missing? Do you have an SD card reader on your computer?

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
wdfarmer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, it is the material from the SD card that is missing.  Viewing it on my Note 2, the directory structure (folders and file names) is intact, but all the files are no longer readable by their applications.  This is the same behavior I'd seen before if I had powered down my encrypted device, removed its SD card, put it into my PC, and attempted to open its picture files.  The files are no longer readable because they're encrypted.

And this is exactly what encryption is designed to accomplish; the files on an encrypted SD card cannot be read by a system that does not have the encryption key.

What the Repair Assistant did not warn me about was that I would lose the data on my encrypted SD card.  Does the Repair Assistant backup and restore only access the 16 GB external flash, and ignore the 64 GB external flash?

I do have an SD card reader on my laptop.  What else would you like to know?

0 Likes
wdfarmer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still waiting for a reply to my last message.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wdfarmer sorry for the delay, we'll do everything we can to help! It is not normal for the info to be lost so lets take a look into some options.Do you have any of your info backed up to Google or Verizon Cloud?

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
wdfarmer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, it turned out that the important information had been backed up to Carbonite Mobile.  So my real concern is that you correct the Repair Assistant so that it will back up an encrypted SD card to the PC in unencrypted form before doing the reset, or warn users that an encrypted SD card's contents will be lost.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your feedback, wdfarmer. When encrypting an SD card, the information has enhanced security so it would not be able to be read by other devices so if your phone or memory card is lost, some random person can't put the card into another device to read all the information you tried so hard to protect. This is why it won't back up to a computer in an unencrypted state. I'm glad you had your important information backed up on an alternate source and have passed on your feedback about a possible warning about encrypted files during the reset.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
whitecharle

Problem similar to JulesB123 in the first post.  The answer to his question and the link/attachment do not help my situation.  I lost everything on the phone during a repair.  At the point the phone was set to restore -- after the repair and about 75% through the process -- a Verizon-styled dialogue window opened and told me to unplug and then plug in the device.  I did so, and the "restore" button was then non-responsive.  I ultimately had to close the window after nothing else I tried worked.

I had some nice memories on that phone.  Did the backup process potentially save to any file on the hard drive of the computer it was linked up with?  I'm not expecting good news, but if you think there is anything that might work, please let me know.

0 Likes