Re: After update to 4.3... "Your internet connection is unstable"
Quentintime

I'm having the wifi problems also. Before my phone always connected to the routers with no problem. I also lost my ringtone but that isn't a big deal. I don't much like the text message on the lock screen but I probably will get used to it. I haven't noticed a fast battery drain but I have been on it more than normal trying to fix the wifi, I hope this gets fixed soon since there isn't unlimited data anymore.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you all for your feedback! From what we have been advised, this is not an issue with the 4.3 update.
'Auto network switch' evaluates data connection when Wi-Fi link quality deterioration is detected and it disables the AP and connects to the cellular network automatically. When data connection test fails, it disables the AP and connects to the cellular network automatically.

'Auto network switch' enabled:
If link quality is evaluated to be poor, the device disconnects itself from the AP and find alternative connection, which can be either another AP or Cellular network.

'Auto network switch' disabled:
It simply stays connected to the AP and notify the user that the Wi-Fi connection is poor, or the Internet is not available via the AP. When user clicks on the notification, device shows a pop-up message which guides the user to enable 'Auto network switch'.

You can follow below steps to enable/disable this function:
Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Menu -> Advanced -> Check or Uncheck 'Auto network switch' option.

Please let us know how this works for you.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jaexyn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah that's neat, but the fact it has nothing to do with 4.3 is bs, seeing as how no one really had issues with it prior to this train wreck of an update. Also, what is "AP"? You mention it six times but never explain what it is. Not all of us work in the cellular network field.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think AP is Access Point other term for Wifi connection/router.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
steve1811
Enthusiast - Level 3

Turn Off Bluetooth

That worked for me.

It seems to be a known bug.

0 Likes
letticeb01
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issues here.  SG3.  Im having similar issues with the phone running very hot and the battery life being seriously depleted.  I used to be able to go all day without having to charge my phone, but now i have to almost keep it in for half of the day to ensure the battery gets to 100%, which takes FOREVER.  I noticed that right away.  Another thing i noticed is that some of my games force close or just shut down altogether now that i have done the update, frustrating as hell.  Let's see, the WiFi issue is irritating the hell outta me.  Its constantly saying connected to our wifi here in the apartment but keeps connecting and disconnecting.  My back up assistant won't even complete its update because it keeps saying loss of network/wifi.  Thats probably whats draining the batter so fast, is the connecting and disconnecting and searching of the wifi, thats my guess anyway.  Man, you know what?  I came to the Samsung family because my boyfriend has one and begged me to come on over from the HTC, which i was GLAD to do because i had the same issues with my Thunderbolt.  OMG their software updates were FREAKING HORRIBLE!  I had to go through 8 phones before someone told me NOT to accept the software update when i got the phone.  8 phones!  I cursed Verizon and HTC out!  When i was able i got away from HTC and it was recommended that the hot item at the time was the SG3.  And they were right, i LOVE my SG3, but now, WTF people!  Im having flashbacks of the nightmare i had to live with HTC's (removed)  updates!  Now Samsung?  How long do we have to continue paying these outrageous prices for a phone that only HALF works?  And then you tell us to inconvenience ourselves by unistalling our apps, turning off our networks and doing a factory reset?  Thats all you can offer?  How about a reimbursement?  Or a cut off our monthly bill?  How about that Verizon? Since you two want to sit there and point fingers like children, give us a reason to stay!  Find a fix or lose customers!  But for now the only advice i can say is to use the "power saving" function, its a pain in the ass but at least it helps your phone stay active longer.  This is so frustrating. I hope they find a fix, AND QUICK!!!!!

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Thank you all for your feedback! From what we have been advised, this is not an issue with the 4.3 update.
'Auto network switch' evaluates data connection when Wi-Fi link quality deterioration is detected and it disables the AP and connects to the cellular network automatically. When data connection test fails, it disables the AP and connects to the cellular network automatically.

'Auto network switch' enabled:
If link quality is evaluated to be poor, the device disconnects itself from the AP and find alternative connection, which can be either another AP or Cellular network.

'Auto network switch' disabled:
It simply stays connected to the AP and notify the user that the Wi-Fi connection is poor, or the Internet is not available via the AP. When user clicks on the notification, device shows a pop-up message which guides the user to enable 'Auto network switch'.

You can follow below steps to enable/disable this function:
Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Menu -> Advanced -> Check or Uncheck 'Auto network switch' option.

Please let us know how this works for you.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

You people CANNOT be serious....Really, suddenly everyone has a WiFi issue AFTER The 4.3 update who never had an issue prior to the update?!?!  Cuz everyone has suddenly changed their "auto network switch" which this is the first I ever heard of it, and AP?? What?  All you people at VZW, sound like robots and reading from a book to post the same garbage that is supposed to do something other then make people reset and start over. Nonsense.  Quit treating us all like dummies. Quit insulting out intelligence. ALL The issues ARE from the 4.3 update. Period.

steve1811
Enthusiast - Level 3

TamarH:

Sorry, but your response is incorrect. I have my auto network switch disabled and it still drops the AP and goes to Verizon data.

The core problem is that there is a bug in the phone or Android 4.3 software such that Bluetooth corrupts the WIFI connection. That appears to the phone as a bad WIFI internet connection, even when the phone is in the same room as the WIFI router. As soon as I turned off my Bluetooth, the problem cleared up.

If you do a web search you will find that many, many people have this problem. Verizon needs to escalate this immediately with Samsung and Google. I myself wasted a lot of time trying to find the problem. I also racked up lots of unneeded data usage on Verizon. Please escalate this email with your management. 

I smell a class action law suit around the corner.

Thanks

Cindy62707
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately many of us need our Bluetooth (hands free laws are in effect in addition to needing to use both of my hands while talking on the phone and moving around the building while talking)!  So shutting off the Bluetooth is not an option.  The only thing that needs done is to fix these issues or let us revert to the previous working OS while they take their time to fix the issues.  I don't hear Verizon offering to do either.  And like someone else said...they need to stop the canned replies of resetting the phone or stopping apps that were not an issue before the update.  The update is the problem....period...so Verizon needs to be the one fixing the issues, not the end user with resets.

0 Likes
steve1811
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree. I need my Bluetooth as well and will turn it on when I go into my car. That solution is only temporary. There is a major national (or international problem) with this (including Note 3's) and Samsung/Android -Google needs to fix it. It needs national attention. I attempted to post it to Samsung over the weekend, but their response system is as bad as Verizon's. I think I'll send a letter or fax to Samsung's headquarters. We are wasting our time at these low levels in the boards.

Cheers,

Steve