Amber Alert not working
joeywyss
Enthusiast - Level 2

We had a major Amber Alert warning Tuesday and my new  phone (Samsung S7 Edge) never went off.  Everyone I know got the alert but my phone didn't.  I have verified the emergency setting is set to "ON"  for all alerts, and my phone DID receive recent Flash Flood warning alarms, so I'm confused. My prior phone (Galaxy S Note 3) received an Amber Alert so I know my account should be receiving them. The only change I have made to my phone is a new Samsung theme that I installed, could that be the reason? I noticed it said that some apps may not work with changed theme (they all say that) but surely Emergency services shouldn't be affected by a display theme, right?  My OS is up to date and I don't notice anything else not working.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Amber Alert not working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for getting me these key details, prasanna.sekhar. Making sure you get all the necessary alerts is important. Please use the steps at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-203792/ to be sure there have not been any inadvertent changes to your alert settings. The Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) program is not controlled by a cellular service provider but rather the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC). There are multiple factors that determine who receives the notification. Some alerts may be based on the billing address or primary place of use address, others may be based on your physical GPS location or where your mobile number is based from. You can find more about the program as well as how to reach out to NCMEC about AMBER Alert concerns at https://www.amberalert.gov .

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

We had tornado warnings last night and my phone did not go off either. I checked and all the settings are right but the phone did not go off with the warning. I have a old phone here that is not activated and it did weird I know but I would really like to know why the phone I am paying for didn't

0 Likes
VINSTIGATOR1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the opposite experience. I had my setting on "off", but (unless I did some really creative pocket typing) I got an alert today and went back to find it set at "on".

ETA: S7 Edge

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Receiving an important alert such as an Amber Alert is crucial, joeywyss. Let’s get to the bottom of this. What application store did you download the new theme from (i.e. Google Play, Amazon, etc.)? Had this alert worked prior to that theme being installed? Please share any details you have.

LynnD_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
prasanna_sekhar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Even I didn't revive the amber alert. I don't have anything special installed

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know the importance of receiving emergency alerts, Prasanna.sekhar. What is the make/model of phone that you happen to use? Have you received any alerts previously? Have there been any recent changes to your device? 

ChrisM_VZW

0 Likes
prasanna_sekhar
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone is s7 edge and yes it has worked before. The last alert I saw was

on Feburary. The recent update was the update Android 7.0 and it's recent

security patch in April.

On Tue, May 23, 2017, 7:19 PM vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for getting me these key details, prasanna.sekhar. Making sure you get all the necessary alerts is important. Please use the steps at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-203792/ to be sure there have not been any inadvertent changes to your alert settings. The Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) program is not controlled by a cellular service provider but rather the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC). There are multiple factors that determine who receives the notification. Some alerts may be based on the billing address or primary place of use address, others may be based on your physical GPS location or where your mobile number is based from. You can find more about the program as well as how to reach out to NCMEC about AMBER Alert concerns at https://www.amberalert.gov .

JenniferH_VZW

0 Likes