Android 9 Pie update pushed on my phone again today
BatDroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all, first post here.

I have a S9 that got the Android 9 Pie update last week. I installed it as soon as I got the notification and it has been working fine for the last week or so.

This morning I got the same notification again. Reading through the description of the update, it seems an entire new re-install of Android 9, not just a patch on top of it.

When I run the update last week the installation completed succesfully and the phone is definitely on Android 9 Pie, with the new One UI, the dark theme, the annoying change to the GSP power options, etc. etc.

I do not understand why the update is being pushed again onto my phone.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing? Any of the moderators want to chime in?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Android 9 Pie update pushed on my phone again today
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm glad to hear that your phone is back to a satisfactory state after completing the update, BatDroid. We'll definitely lift up feedback regarding the information conveyed about the update. If you should have any further concerns or questions, please let us know. 

RyanM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
BatDroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

For other poor souls that may have run into this, I was able to solve this "mistery"...

I called the 800 number, explained what was going on and was told that yesterday another Pie update had been released. So, I backed up to my computer as much as I could of the files on the S9 internal memory and proceeded to run this other update.

Lo and behold, after it finished (and it took MUCH less than the update last week), the phone now has a new Baseband, Build Number and Android Security Patch Level.

Baseband and Build Number now ends in "AG", before it was "AB".

Android Security Patch Level now has February 1, 2019 as the date. Before it was January 1, 2019.

THIS IS NOT THE DESCRIPTION OF THE UPDATE THAT YOU SEE WHEN YOU TAP ON "LEARN MORE" IN THE SCREEN WHERE YOU ARE GIVEN THE OPTION TO "INSTALL NOW" OR "INSTALL LATER".

The description is instead identical to the one in last week's update, down to the baseband code and the date of the Security Patch Level. This is totally misleading, as last week update was indeed the major update from 8 to 9. Today's update seems to be just a patch or minor tweak.

To make things worse and even more confusing, going to the Verizon's website page listing the (supposedely) last update, there is no mention yet of todays "AG" and Feb 1 security update. It still shows the original update from last week.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s9-update/

Bottom line: this is indeed a follow-up to the previous, major version update to Pie. I got concerned because with no changes in the description and version of the update, it looked like it was trying to install Pie again from scratch. This has never happened to me before (I have been using Android since version 1.6), so I was worried that trying to re-install the same update would brick the phone.

Luckily, happy ending.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

Security updates are done monthly. Though in the past phone makers often bypassed them or took month to update. A lot of people complain and phone makers are finally updating faster. I have pixl so it's not an issue as I get updtes as soon as theya re ready. I got the February security update 3 weeks ago. I'll get the March update around the 5th. When anrdpid Q comes out in October I'll get that as soon as it does.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm glad to hear that your phone is back to a satisfactory state after completing the update, BatDroid. We'll definitely lift up feedback regarding the information conveyed about the update. If you should have any further concerns or questions, please let us know. 

RyanM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BatDroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is all good and well, when I had my previous phone (Motorola Droid Turbo), Verizon did not push regularly security updates, although I got a couple of OS updates.

What I do not understand is why something so simple as updating the description of the update was not done, so that instead of looking like a duplicate of the Pie update the week before it would have been clearly identified as one of the monthy security updates.

0 Likes