Re: Any updates on 4.3 OTA for Galaxy SIII?
PaulMartocci
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dude, seriously not cool. Yes we're frustrated by the slow pace Verizon is taking on getting the software update rolled out, but there's no point in attacking the forum staff.

0 Likes
PaulMartocci
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not really whining, just complaining, and from what I've been hearing across the web, Verizon may just bail out on 4.3 and go right to 4.4 KitKat..

0 Likes
PaulMartocci
Enthusiast - Level 2

This isn't the first time Verizon has taken their sweet time with rolling out the software updates for the Android platform. I recall 4.1.1 being released between September and November for AT&T and other carriers while Verizon didn't roll it out till December. Overall, we just want our update.

0 Likes
PaulMartocci
Enthusiast - Level 2

This website has some interesting information.

0 Likes
PaulMartocci
Enthusiast - Level 2

And that's why I have an iPhone as well, because of this mess Google created. It's admitted that Android is widely fragmented across multiple flavors and multiple devices, as evidenced here and Google wants to fix it with KitKat for a more consistent experience across the board on all devices. .

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

iOS is fragmented itself, but is nicely hidden by Apple.  I won't go into detail about, but by definition of fragmentation iOS is fragmented even if you version numbers are the same across their devices.

Anyway.  The problem with updates people only assume carriers have complete control.  They do not.  It all starts with the manufacturers.  If parts manufacturers don't update their drivers and firmware you can't get updates from device manufacturers or they have to use an older version of drivers/firmware which often yield fragmenting results like features being removed.  Carriers only test the updates and put nothing in.  Carriers don't put in their bloat.  It is given the manufacturers in ADVANCE.  Every leaked software ever leaked for Android always has it installed and the source of these leaks are from... manufacturer employees.  That's a dead ringer to me. 

Even the PC market is fragmented.  I find it amazing that people fall for the marketing.

UAVPilot1
Contributor - Level 1

I am seeing posts in here on rumors that I have seen on other sites as well. The rumor is that due to the 4.3 issues seen on other carriers for the Samsung S3, that Verizon is now skipping over the 4.3 and going to the 4.4 update. While I know everyone that spreads this rumor has their "sources" I find this highly unlikely to happen. The S3 has already been screwed by skipping over the 4.2 update and other carriers are getting the 4.3 for this phone. If this is the outcome, then I can expect that the 4.1.2 will be the last update the S3 will get as those with this phone are being forced to upgrade to another phone or another carrier.

I feel Verizon is starting to lose a lot of its customers as they neglect to inform them on why there has not been an update release while the other carriers are releasing the update with minimal issues, if any, in the US. Verizon needs to step up and give some information to their customers before this update is delayed further. Silence is a big demotivator, as in the faith and trust we have in this carrier.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

other than the tightened security issues & knox, what else are you expecting in 4.3.

0 Likes
JoeKiv
Contributor - Level 1

Well one possibility is that they have no intention of pushing out the 4.3 update and that is why they are being silent.  In fact that is my best guess.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Well there's a flaw in your theory. There's only been twice in history a device never got an OS version bump when the manufacturer said it will be updated.

1. Samsung Behold 2. However this one was a bit odd. Samsung never said it "will", but it said it "could".

2. HTC One S. HTC said it would, but the parts manufacturer dropped support for their processor(Qualcomm) in one of the variants. So HTC recanted and chose to not update any of them.

Samsung said it the S3 will be updated to 4.3. So it will be updated.

You know what I find funny? People on T-Mobile were complaining about the same thing using the exact same words, but the S3 was updated before the S4. They are doing roll outs, but they are not going to overlap with other carriers. See Apple servers when a new iPhone and iOS update happens at the same time. Apple customers are not happy.

0 Likes