Anyway to fix update issues?
MistressRhev
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've read where people have said that they did a hard reset before they did the update and everything is just hunky dory for them. My  question is if you've already done the update and your stuff messed up can you do a hard reset and start over?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Anyway to fix update issues?
Snn5
Legend

You can do a factory reset after the update.  This is how I do it.

Plug into charger for the entire process

Charge to 100% and back up and factory reset the phone

(DISABLE google backup and restore of apps and app data)

Install update

Factory reset one more time

Unplug from charger

Set up your phone

Leave phone on until it dies and turns off 1 time

Leave off and recharge to 100%

This is my usual process and I have had no issues.

The reasons for disabling app data is due to the fact that DAVLIK is now ART and the Android Optimization process might not go as planned if you just slap the new OS over the old OS.  Also, when you go back to the Play Store to download apps, they will be the correct version this time for this OS.  Also, if contacts will not sync correctly, check your ICE contacts (might have to delete those)...sometimes they prevent a proper sync.

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

You can do a factory reset after the update.  This is how I do it.

Plug into charger for the entire process

Charge to 100% and back up and factory reset the phone

(DISABLE google backup and restore of apps and app data)

Install update

Factory reset one more time

Unplug from charger

Set up your phone

Leave phone on until it dies and turns off 1 time

Leave off and recharge to 100%

This is my usual process and I have had no issues.

The reasons for disabling app data is due to the fact that DAVLIK is now ART and the Android Optimization process might not go as planned if you just slap the new OS over the old OS.  Also, when you go back to the Play Store to download apps, they will be the correct version this time for this OS.  Also, if contacts will not sync correctly, check your ICE contacts (might have to delete those)...sometimes they prevent a proper sync.

MistressRhev
Enthusiast - Level 2

First of all thank you so much for answering. Got  couple of questions though. When you say after doing the update to unplug the phone from the charger and allow it to just run out of juice until it dies one time is it ok to use the phone while that's happening? & just to satisfy my curiosity what's the purpose of that? Another question,  ok on backing up all of my stuff...  this is going to sound really stupid but is there any easier way than what I've been doing which is essentially going to each app individually and saving the things I want? Basically I guess what I'm asking is there 1 all-encompassing 'backup your phone'  button type thing?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yes, you can use the phone as normal.  This is to help the phone go through one full charge-to-power off cycle and reset the battery statistics.  When I back up my phone I use Google Drive.  You can either transfer the pictures, videos, documents, music etc... to your PC and use the Desktop Google Drive app or use the Mobile Drive app.  You can also use Dropbox or OneDrive, but I don't use Verizon's Cloud.

MistressRhev
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, last question. ...i think.
You say to do a  factory reset, install the update, then do another factory reset.

Won't that just negate the update I just did?

Also when is it ok to re-enable the google back-up & (most especially) resore of apps & app data? Or is it ever? Am I going to lose all the progress on games that are only saved thru google playtime or whatever the heck it's called? As I am sure you can tell by now I am a to neophyte when it comes to these types of things. But most my widgets are totally [removed] and my phone now sucks battery like nobodys business and I am utterly SICK OF IT!! Who the hell puts out an update that is sooo messed up?? Sorry litte rant.

Content was edited as required by the

Message was edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Once the update is installed, it is not uninstalled, resetting again just doubly ensures a clean install.  When you go back through the set-up of the phone you will be asked to enable Google as backup for apps and data, it will be checked by default.  You will lose game progress because you are not restoring app data, in efforts for a clean install.  Nothing is guaranteed, but what have you got to lose?

MistressRhev
Enthusiast - Level 2

Awesome. THANK YOU!!!

All right, I'm goona give this a shot. Wish me luck. What the worst that could happen? ...heh, heh, heh... 

MistressRhev
Enthusiast - Level 2

It WORKED! You are my phone tech hero! Thank you again for taking the time to answer my many questions. ❤❤

MistressRhev
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bummer, cell phone smiley/icon didn't show b/w the 2 ❤s

Snn5
Legend

Glad that solved the problem Smiley Happy

0 Likes