Assigning specific ringtones
glassduane
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently switched from Blackberry to Galaxy S4. I am a dispatcher for a service company and get texts/emails from our answering service at night and on weekends. Had a specific ringtone on the Blackberry that would wake me up in the middle of the night if a message came in. With the Galaxy S4, I can't get it to recognize the specific ringtone, it comes across as the default ringtone. Any help? These texts and emails come from an email address from the answering service. Is that the problem? HELP!!!

Comments edited to start new discussion.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Re: Assigning specific ringtones
B33
Legend

Have you tried setting the individual Ringtone for Each, Try going into your email settings and set up a Ringtone there then go into your Text and set one in it's settings area.. I use ZEDGE for my Ringtones you can search for specific ringtones if your needing something alert Like..

0 Likes
glassduane
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using ZEDGE and have found a good, loud ringtone that I would like to use. Went to my contact list and edited my Answering Service ringtone and message alert to this specific ringtone. But when I get a text and email from them, it comes through with the default text and email sounds.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

glassduane wrote:

These texts and emails come from an email address from the answering service. Is that the problem? HELP!!!

Yes, that's the problem.  You can set individual ringtones in the contact entry by pressing the contact, then choosing Ringtone and using the arrow to go to your ringtones and choose the one you want for that contact's calls.  Likewise, if you press the contact and choose Message Alert, you can choose a ringtone for texts from that contact.  But it doesn't work if the messages come from an e-mail address.  You might check the Play Store for third-party apps that will do what you want.

0 Likes
glassduane
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why did I not have this problem with the Blackberry? Is this a Galaxy/android issue?

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

All phones/OS' have their differences; thank goodness for app stores. 

glassduane
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure how I would find an app for this.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I seen the same thing when i went from my BB curve to my Droid X but I just let differences win me over it does Take some Getting use to.. Smiley Happy  Have a Good Christmas it just around the Corner..  b33

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

glassduane wrote:

Why did I not have this problem with the Blackberry? Is this a Galaxy/android issue?

When I moved from a BlackBerry to an Android, this is one of the things I miss the most ... I had BeBuzz and custom ringtones set up for specific contacts and text messages and emails - I could tell at a glance (by the flashing LED) if It was something I needed to deal with right then or if it could wait.  I loved the way I could customize the BB.

Android, while it has a lot of apps available, is not so customizable.  I found Light Flow to be OK - it changes the LED colors but doesn't have near the variety of options that BeBuzz has.  You can also set custom ringtones for emails and texts.  A word of caution - it does tend to "stop" from time to time and may interfere with other phone apps.  And you have to turn off the stock sounds and notifications if you want Light Flow to be the primary.  And it takes some time to learn and set up.  You CAN backup and save the settings to move to a different phone though.

I haven't found anything close to BeBuzz though.  Smiley Sad  https://play.google.com/store/search?q=custom%20notification%20light%20sound&c=apps  will give you some to play with.