BYOD Upgrade
mdoney

Hi! I currently have an LGG5 that is rapidly developing more and more issues. I am looking at purchasing a brand new Samsung Galaxy S10 from Samsung. I know that these are compatible with Verizon's network. I just cant find any answers on the upgrade fee. Currently my account says i am "eligible for a free upgrade" does this mean I will not have to pay an activation fee?? I have seen lots of answers, some say a $40 fee, some say $20 and some say there is no fee if you BYOD. 

Basically: I am planning on BYOD to upgrade, and cant find a clear answer on if there is an upgrade fee.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BYOD Upgrade
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you purchase a new phone at the full retail price from Samsung WITHOUT Verizon Wireless service or a new SIM card, then you won't be charged an upgrade fee as you will be taking your SIM card from the LG phone and installing it in the Samsung. 

However if you still purchase the Samsung phone from the Samsung website or Verizon Wireless website with Verizon Wireless service at retail price or in payments, you will be charged for the upgrade fee ($20 at the VZW website) if the phone comes with a new VZW SIM card.

Purchases made over the phone with a VZW rep, made in a VZW store, or at third party retailer will result in the $40 upgrade fee being charged either at the point of purchase or billed on your next bill. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

rcschnoor
Legend

If you are planning to purchase the phone from Best Buy, Samsung or some other location in order to BYOD, just make sure to purchase the "unlocked" version of the device and NOT the "Verizon" version of the device. If you purchase the "Verizon" version of the device you WILL be charged an upgrade fee.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question, mdoney. There is no activation fee to replace the device on the account with a device you purchased elsewhere. Check compatibility with our network here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes