Battery Drain Galaxy S 5 Marshmallow
MICNAV31
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm just adding to the chorus of what appears to be many many others that are experiencing this serious flaw and I hope a fix is being worked on to roll out as soon as possible.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery Drain Galaxy S 5 Marshmallow
Cybergoobr
Enthusiast - Level 3

After any major update, you should always run a cache wipe procedure. It flushes out the old OS files. This will NOT cause you to loose any personal settings or apps.   Try this.

1. Turn phone off

2. Hold Power , volume up and home button till you see phone turn on and os recovery loading

3. Now mark the entry "Wipe cache partition" with the volume down key. With the power on / off button the entry can be selected selected and the process gets started. This usually takes only a few seconds. Then the previously displayed menu appears again. Now select the first entry with "Reboot system now" and run the command again with a press of the power button. Your Samsung Galaxy S6/S5 will now reboot.

4.Thats it! enjoy your phone again. Smiley Happy

http://www.solvemix.com/index.php/android-smartphones/533-samsung-galaxy-s6-perform-wipe-cache-parti...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cybergoobr
Enthusiast - Level 3

After any major update, you should always run a cache wipe procedure. It flushes out the old OS files. This will NOT cause you to loose any personal settings or apps.   Try this.

1. Turn phone off

2. Hold Power , volume up and home button till you see phone turn on and os recovery loading

3. Now mark the entry "Wipe cache partition" with the volume down key. With the power on / off button the entry can be selected selected and the process gets started. This usually takes only a few seconds. Then the previously displayed menu appears again. Now select the first entry with "Reboot system now" and run the command again with a press of the power button. Your Samsung Galaxy S6/S5 will now reboot.

4.Thats it! enjoy your phone again. Smiley Happy

http://www.solvemix.com/index.php/android-smartphones/533-samsung-galaxy-s6-perform-wipe-cache-parti...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

micnav31-

Software updates should be just that, an update to help your phone preform better. I am alarmed to read that is not the case here. I want to dig a little bit deeper to gather a few more clues, how long does your battery life last now? Have you looked at your battery life manager to see which particular functions are using your battery the most? http://vz.to/1S0foUh

AmberK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MICNAV31
Enthusiast - Level 2

AmberK,

I followed the instructions given by Cybergoobr on clearing the cache partition and that seemed to have helped and the battery drain is not nearly what it was.  My suggestion would be that when future software updates are done that after it's complete, instructions are given as to how to clear the cache partition so that people don't run into this issue.

Thanks

Mike

0 Likes
MICNAV31
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Cybergoobr.  That seemed to have solved it.

Mike

0 Likes
ANNNEF74

I've been having serious battery drain since updating to Marshmallow.  I have cleared the cache twice, according to directions from @VZWSupport, but it still drops to 15% in about 15 hours.  I don't watch videos. and seldom talk on the phone.  This past 3 weeks I've been almost entirely on my home and work wifis -- no roaming or searching, and Bluetooth is turned off.

I will be traveling soon, and need my battery to last like it used to. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a reliable battery is important. Let's see how we can get your Samsung S5 to work again. You've given us some helpful information but can you tell us how you use your phone daily?How many applications do you have installed.

SheritaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

My phone will not do that,when I do the combination of buttons all I get is recovery.... in a blue lite at the left hand corner of my phone.Then sometimes I can get to the 3 options start normal.....reset the phone....or safe mode.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kathy65793,

Let's wipe this cache. I know I personally had to do this on my phone. I actually had some assist me as I needed to press all three buttons at the same time. With doing just two it does put it in Safe Mode. We encourage you to try again.

RobinD_VZW

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I finally got it to that screen and cleared the cache and did a factory reset yesterday. I think I will have a new problem now just look at my battery screen......Displaying Screenshot_2016-08-13-12-52-33.png

0 Likes