Battery draining while charging
mattyshore
Contributor - Level 1

I have a galaxy s3. I am a heavy data user of this phone and charge it several times a day as it is always being used. When I am charging the phone and it is on and in use, the battery is draining. I am using the stock charger, which is the usb cord and the little rectangle box it plugs into which is then plugged into an outlet. I turned the phone off and let it charge and then powered it back on after 30 mins. This helped for the rest of last night. Now this morning it is doing the same thing. I have read on other forums that the cord for the charger is the problem after awhile. I need some help and answers quickly so if it is the battery I can order a new one. I need my phone as I live in a rural area and is my only way to call anyone or for help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery draining while charging
SC-Claim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mattyshore, the problem is probably with the 4.3 update.  Lots of us are having serious battery issues after the update.  Welcome to the 'sad-is-us-club.'

View solution in original post

mattyshore
Contributor - Level 1

Hello? Anyone out there? Verizon customer service has no answers for me. It was not worth waiting on hold for an hour. How does anyone ever get a problem resolved when Verizon just keeps giving the same old run around and same old "hard reset" answer to solve everything.

0 Likes
SC-Claim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mattyshore, the problem is probably with the 4.3 update.  Lots of us are having serious battery issues after the update.  Welcome to the 'sad-is-us-club.'

Mytyty1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue.  While mine is actually plugged into the wall it says it is charging but I dont think it is because when I check it an hour later it still says charging but the percentage is actually less than it was an hour before.  My son has a brand new similar one and I have used his charger and it is doing the same but my battery is not old at all. 

mattyshore
Contributor - Level 1

That is the same problem I am having. I restart the phone sometimes that helps. sometimes I have to charge it while off and that helps. Problem is I use my phone for business and the down time is costing me money. Verizon does not seem to care they just bounce my call all around and the only answer is a hard reset. A hard reset is not a fix to the problem it is only a temporary fix. I think I might just end up buying a new battery. They shouldn't sell a phone that wont even last the 2 year contract

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mattyshore,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with the phone battery draining. I would like you to try these steps in the order and see how it works.

1. Completely power the phone off after it has recharged and unplug it.

2. Start the phone in Safe Mode (hold the power, Home and volume rocker at the same time until the Samsung splash screen comes on then ONLY release the power button. You will see the 'Safe Mode' box in the lower left corner after the phone completely powers up.

3. Power the phone down again. Remove the back cover of the phone. Remove the battery and then the Verizon SIM card. Wait about one minute then put the SIM card and battery back in. Power up the phone normally.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
SC-Claim
Enthusiast - Level 3

VZ....that might help with charging, but it does not resolve the battery drain issue.  It's the 4.3 update.  Plain and simple.

Battery draining while charging
mattyshore
Contributor - Level 1

I have tried that Verizon Wireless Customer support. I did that a few cycles and it did not help. I went out and purchased a new charger one that did not have a detachable usb cord. It now charges fast even when in use. This is only one of MANY issues thanks to the update. I waited three months before updating and STILL get problems. Why did you release an update with so many problems and NO solution to the problems other than temporary fixes? Wouldn't it have been smart to make sure these issues were resolved BEFORE releasing an update? It only seems to make sense. I know if I ran a business I would want my customers to be happy and yet everyone seems to have problems since the update.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi mytyty1,

We would love to assist with your device today. My sincere apologies for the issues with your battery. I would like to clarify a few things with you. Does your son also utilize the S3? If so, please remove his battery and place his battery into your phone and attach the charger. If the device begins to charge without any issues this would lead us to believe that the issue is related to your battery. Once this test is complete please return the batteries back to the proper devices. Please keep us posted once this is completed, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your feedback, SC-Claim. The software team would like to duplicate this. Can you confirm previous battery life as compared to current battery life? Does it behave the same when in safe mode http://bit.ly/RuMIK2?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport