Re: Blocking incoming texts by keyword
SpudGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon: Please provide a way to suppress text messages using keywords!

Spoofing phone numbers makes it too easy to spam your customers, please do something to help!

I get 3-5 unwanted text/phone calls daily from different phone numbers, so the normal blocks using just the phone number doesn't work anymore.

Please do the needful... you are losing the battle, and soon customers.

Spamers - 5     Verizon - 0

BTW - I thought about installing yet another app to fill the gap in your services, but do not trust most of them, since even stupid flashlight apps want to see your contacts/text messages/etc.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here for you! Do you have Call Filter enabled to help with the spam calls/texts? If not, learn more here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/call-filter-faqs/#what . BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
SpudGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

The basic "Call Filter" does not help stop spoofed numbers, I have to ignore incoming call numbers I don't recognize and see if they leave a voice message. The free basic filtering also doesn't provide a way to add keywords, and I don't believe upgrading to "Call Filter Plus" at $2.99 per month is going to help, but I'm going to give it a try before I search elsewhere for a solution. Verizon should be able to filter calls where the caller ID is spoofed at some point in the system, this is ridiculous! I will post the results of this "test" after 30 days, stay tuned... 

SpudGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I upgraded to "Call Filter Plus" and the blocking is based on phone number, not message keywords.

Has anyone found where to enter keywords to block in text messages in this Verizon app?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the update, SpudGuy. We're sorry that the Plus feature did not work for you. We have also noted your feedback about the application. Additionally, for what you are looking for, you may have to search for a Third Party option or just block the text messages sender as it comes in. For additional information on spoofing, you may review this link from the FCC:  https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/spoofing-and-caller-id   

TakendraW_VZW

0 Likes
ViableBurrito
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same problem. 7-10 messages that would all be blocked if I could block by keyword. I get messages for Tyrone (and calls) all day. This should be a simple fix. 

Primordial_Soup
Enthusiast - Level 2

This should not be difficult for Verizon to enable users to block calls by keyword. I am getting hounded by texts advertising CBD coming from changing numbers. Why can't Verizon do something to address this? I would change to another cell phone company in a heartbeat if they offered this feature.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Primordial_Soup, as someone who is impacted by Spam text messages I understand how inconvenient it is for you to receive unwanted text messages. Have you re[ported the numbers that are texting you to the FCC? You can do so, here. https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/stop-unwanted-robocalls-and-texts?from=home

Have you search for third party apps that will help you block unwanted text messages?   JacobG_VZW

0 Likes
drobidas
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!  Verizon… you sound like a robot answering with short stupid answers. YES these guys are not the only one getting these annoying text from unknown people. I have about 6 of those text daily starting at 6am unit 9pm. ALL from different numbers but sounds like coming from the same people. For me, it always starts with “Alan…” “Alan…”“Alan…”“Alan…”“Alan…”“Alan…” I am sick a tired of this. I have forwarded about 50 of them to SPAM and filed a complaint with the FCC  BUT NOTHING HAS CHANGED. I REGRET so much switching to Verizon and getting a new phone number. It has been going one since November 2019. SO PLEASE. Tell us if Verizon can do something about us? Thank you

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We apologize for this inconvenience with these text messages you are receiving, drobidas. We know how frustrating they can be, and we want to provide you with the best options we have available to get this resolved. Verizon has systems that automatically monitor and block suspected Spam text messages. If you consider these messages as Spam, we recommend continuing forwarding this message to 7726 for review. 

You can also register at vtext.com to establish text message blocking by accessing Preference and Text Blocking.  

Another option will be to change your number at no charge. You can review the options to change your number using this link. https://www.verizon.com/support/how-to-change-phone-number-video/#:~:text=Go%20to%20vzw.com%20and,Nu...

GersonG_VZW

0 Likes