tru1825az
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes but not alot

0 Likes
Re: Brand new S8 takes too long to charge
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tru1825az,

We're sorry you had so much trouble with a brand new phone and charger. Did you end up returning it to the location of purchase? If you still have it and are in need of assistance, please let us know here.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

thanks, the reply was to stef7.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I've had a heck of a time following much of this.

While I liked your idea of shutting down the device to charge, I've never found it necessary with my LG. When it's on but doing little work, it's not consuming a lot of battery. That will be the case when the screen is off, bits are not flying to/from WiFi (or the Cell towers), and  the CPU cores are running at a highly reduced speed.

A device will charge a bit faster if it's "Off". I can leave my V30 on, with the cheapest of wireless chargers, and it will charge quickly. I think it mainly comes down to the charger. I prefer OEM chargers, but to jrh4054, I make select choices for aftermarket models.

Maybe the OP was initially incurring a heavy battery hit because it was stiil syncing stuff, or maybe the % charge battery model was still being refined (I think it takes a few charge cycles before it's considered "accurate".

When I suggested Amazon (or in another post eBAY), it's possible to pick up an OEM fast charger, the purpose of the suggestion was to see if it was the OP's original charger and/or cable, or the phone.

I don't know how the OP made out exactly, but I guess all is good.

bearone21
Legend

phones, computers, laptops, etc, need to be cycled off occasionally.

i'm pretty sure that verizon reps will recommend the same with phones.

re-booting sometimes resolves the issue on many electrical devices..

i've been charging the phone in the off position dating back to motorola startac days with gte/verizon.

the op didn't say whether usb or wall charging....imoh, usb charging is a waste of time unless an emergency.

stef7
Master - Level 2

I agree with you completely.

I do periodically call up all the "Recently used apps" (square icon on home buttons) and "Clear All" from memory. And I do periodically, maybe once every five days completely power-off and restart.

I just never power down/off, and especially not to charge. But like I said, it will charge incrementally faster, but not by much. But your habit of doing so accomplishes the same as what I do, your schedule and method just a little different than mine.

Yeah the OP didn't say. Computer USB port charging? I'm with you - generally a very slow proposition. With phones lasting multiple days now, generally no need to top-off at work or school.

Funny, my kids have iPhones. My youngest son uses his often. He carries with him an Anker battery pack. The kids like recharging their devices in their backpacks as they go to their different classes.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your suggestions are right on the money here, stef7. Looking through everything, you are absolutely correct. With any device OEM chargers are always the preferred choice when having charging troubles.

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes