Calling Germany from US
slh1078
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've reviewed a lot of answers about international calling but am still confused. I would like to use wifi to call my brother in Germany on my cell. To be clear, I'm initiating the call from my cell here in the US, not from Germany. 

I've seen all kinds of comments about putting my phone in airplane mode which completely disconnects it from my home wifi. So how is that supposed to work?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Calling Germany from US
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@slh1078 wrote:

I've reviewed a lot of answers about international calling but am still confused. I would like to use wifi to call my brother in Germany on my cell. To be clear, I'm initiating the call from my cell here in the US, not from Germany. 

I've seen all kinds of comments about putting my phone in airplane mode which completely disconnects it from my home wifi. So how is that supposed to work?

What dialing strings have you tried?   On my Android phone, a Moto z4, putting it into Airplane mode DOES turn off WIFI, BUT I can go into Settings and turn WIFI back ON while in Airplane mode.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Be aware, even though you might be using WIFI calling domestically here in the US, I believe making an International call using WIFI gets charged as it is transferred to the cell network.  Maybe a @vzw_customer_support  agent will confirm this?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would be happy to help with any questions you have regarding your options for staying connected with your brother in Germany. As mentioned above, you should be able to turn Wi-Fi on after placing your device in Airplane Mode. The only way to ensure that you're not using using your service and only Wi-Fi, would be to turn on Airplane Mode. When using Wi-Fi Calling it is to enhance your service, your call can certainly switch off of Wi-Fi Calling at any time and this is where you would incur international charges. Does this make sense?

*Ellisandra

0 Likes