Calling problems
dborgman59
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have had verizonwireless for the past 20+ years.  Within the last 2 months my husbands phone will not make or receive calls while he is here at home.  I have no problems making or receiving calls with my phone.   At the time this started he had a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I have a Samsung Galaxy S9.  I called for tech support about a month ago and re-did all the troubleshooting over that I had tried before the tech call and still the issue with his phone remained and was told the phone possibly needed a new SIM card.  I made an appt at our local Verizon wireless store, went in and the person who helped me told me that a SIM card would do nothing and I just needed to upgrade the phone and was told "that's an old phone".  They did swap out the old SIM card with a new and the phone did not perform any better.  So I went online and ordered a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S8 for my husband to replace the S5.  Got everything set up, went back to the store to have his number switched over.   We thought this would be our answer and we are back to square one.  My phone has no problem with making or taking calls and his will not even call my phone when I'm standing next to him.  This is really frustrating.  His phone worked perfect 2 months ago........what changed is what I would like to know?

Labels (1)
Re: Calling problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dborgman59, we appreciate all of the steps you have taken in efforts to resolve your husbands device concern,. We are sorry to hear that replacing the device did not resolve the calling concern he is experiencing. Allow us the opportunity to further investigate. Can you please clarify how far he has to travel from your home area to place a phone call? Are text messages and data services also impacted? May we have your nearest intersection, city and zip code, so we can accurately pinpoint your location?  

SylviaT_VZW

0 Likes
dborgman59
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for getting back to me.  My husband usually has to walk outside to get a call or to make a call and then many times that doesn't even work and when it does many times the call is dropped.  Text and data are not impacted at all, those work just fine.  It is only phone calls and like I said in my original message this just started about a month ago and does not happen on my phone at all, and we are on the same Verizon wireless plan.  The nearest intersection to our home is 175th Street and  Central Avenue, Tinley Park, IL, 60477.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dborgman, this information helps greatly. It is very odd that he is experiencing the same issue with a new SIM and phone. We're not giving up on getting this resolved. We are not showing any reports for your area and the good news is as your phone is not having any problems it eliminates the network. Please follow the steps here https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-211218/#:~:text=With%20the%20device%20powered%20on,to.... to put the device in Safe Mode. Once there please attempt both inbound and outbound calls and let us know the results. To remove Safe Mode simply restart the phone. We're standing by.  

MelissaP_VZW

0 Likes
dborgman59
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I restarted his phone in safe mode and tried inbound and outbound calls, and the same problem still exists in safe mode.   Hope we can figure this out soon. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We truly appreciate your troubleshooting efforts, and want to find a lasting solution to these calling issues. Please tell us, do you have Wi-Fi at home? If so, have you tested Wi-Fi Calling? We want to make sure that we isolate all variables and find the root cause of the issue. To find out how to enable Wi-Fi Calling on the GS8, please click here: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-211118/

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes
dborgman59
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I have WiFi at home.  I followed the link you sent me to try wifi calling.  When I go to that setting the wifi-calling is not highlighted for me to turn that on. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your patience and for your efforts, dborgman. We want to find out when happens with your try to set up Wi-Fi calling. Did you scroll down to the section  to go into the setting for switching on Wi-Fi calling? The steps are lower on the webpage and go from #1 to #3 and this would be how to turn on Wi-Fi calling. Please keep us posted.  

0 Likes
dborgman59
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I followed the steps to turn on wifi calling and that option on my phone is not highlighted, so i can't switch the wifi calling to the "on" setting.

0 Likes