Can I buy Samsung Galaxy s21 unlocked and use to upgrade my Samsung galaxy S10 with verizon?
Kabir11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently am using Verizon Samsung Galaxy S10. I need to pre-order Samsung Galaxy S21, however if i order via samsung i end up paying $249 for unlocked phone after all rebates, trade-in, etc. But if i pre-order from Verizon i end up paying $799 after trade in. 

So can i pre-order the unlocked version and when I get it switch the S10 to S21? Will the unlocked version of S21 work with Verizon?

Labels (1)
Re: Can I buy Samsung Galaxy s21 unlocked and use to upgrade my Samsung galaxy S10 with verizon?
audreyreale
Enthusiast - Level 1

I chatted online with Verizon and they told me that the unlocked version will work.  I've read about other unlocked phones not having access to all of Verizon's services, like visual voicemail, so I don't know what the S21 might not have access to.  The nice thing, though, is that the unlocked phone won't come preloaded with a bunch of unnecessary apps and you have more options as far as colors and storage capacities on the phone.  You can also take an unlocked phone to another carrier if you change service.

Re: Can I buy Samsung Galaxy s21 unlocked and use to upgrade my Samsung galaxy S10 with verizon?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am a consumer myself so I am always looking for a deal too, Kabir11. The good news is you can get this device and activate it on our network. These models are currently able to activate with our network.

• SM-G986U1
  • SM-G986U1 512GB 

Does this help? AmberF_VZW

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us, and congrats on deciding to purchase a new phone. Please let us know if there is anything we can help with. 

pruiz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Will all Verizon features such as visual voicemail and wifi calling still work on an unlocked Samsung phone purchased directly from Samsung?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pruiz, making sure you are aware of your device's compatible features with our Network is important. Wi-Fi Calling and Visual Voicemail will not work on an Unlocked device. The Verizon branded billing features that are not supported on Open Development (OD) certified Open Market smartphones include:

• Visual Voicemail (VVM)
    • LTE Video Calling
    • Enhanced Address Book
    • VoWiFi
    • Integrated Messaging
0 Likes
Kabir11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response. But I guess I won't know the model till I get it. However samsung does state that uock phones will work with all US carriers. 

Thanks

0 Likes
Kabir11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got my shipping info. They are shipping me a G991U unit. As per Samsung it should work on any US Carrier. Hope this works on Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want all your questions answered.  Is there anything else that we can assist you with?

0 Likes
LibertyMonger

I'm interested in more info on this topic, first, I hear if we get the unlocked s21 ultra we cannot turn 5g off, is this correct? 2nd the only way I want the S21 Ultra is if I can get the 512mb version and currently that's from Samsung since Verizon only has the smallest storage which is not good since this phone does not have a SDcard slot and last, I read some people have advanced calling and WiFi calling you work with Verizon with the unlocked brush. If the true? Thank you

0 Likes