Can I use VZW WiFi with a Chinese SIM card in my Phone?
zboson

I'm traveling to China. I will get a Chinese SIM (primarily needed for data). I would also like to continue to use wifi calling and text with my Verizon number. Is it possible to do this in one phone?

I'd certainly buy a phone that can do this (and bonus if it will continue to work on the Verizon network when I return). I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S5 from Verizon. (I know. It's time to upgrade.) It doesn't have the frequencies to do data in China. I know that most Chinese phones support dual SIM, but no Verizon phones support dual SIM, so perhaps I'm looking at getting a Chinese phone that can support a Verizon SIM that would only be used for wifi calling/text.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Chinese SIM and VZW WiFi Calling on Same Phone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Zboson,

Thank you for the additional details as well as the clarification. We definitely want to make sure you are set up for success while you are away. We do want to let you know that you will not be able to use Wi-Fi calling or text if you were to put your Verizon SIM card into a phone you purchase in China. Our SIM card will not have a way to activate while you are in China as we do not have any cell towers there. Does this help clarify your concern? 

SylviaT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Zboson,

Making sure you have the services you need when you are traveling internationally is always a must! Allow us to further go over the details. China definitely sounds like an exciting trip and we want to make sure you will be placed on the best international plan that best suits your needs. We understand that you may be looking into getting a Chinese SIM card for data when you start your travel. As you had mentioned, our devices such as the Galaxy S5 does not support dual SIM cards. We do want to let you know that we offer a few options with our international travel plans that may work for you. How long are you going to be in China for? How will you be utilizing your device while you are out there (calls, text, data)? Please follow this link to view our International trip planner to help customize your options http://vz.to/2qHPpek.

SylviaT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
zboson

I will be in China for a month. I should have clarified in my original post that I have already looked at Verizon's international plans and they are just too expensive. I will use data every day. $10/day for TravelPass is unacceptable.

The question still remains. Will I be able to use wi-fi calling and text if I put my Verizon SIM into a Chinese phone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Zboson,

Thank you for the additional details as well as the clarification. We definitely want to make sure you are set up for success while you are away. We do want to let you know that you will not be able to use Wi-Fi calling or text if you were to put your Verizon SIM card into a phone you purchase in China. Our SIM card will not have a way to activate while you are in China as we do not have any cell towers there. Does this help clarify your concern? 

SylviaT_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Wifi calling is a feature of both phone and carrier together.  If you bring your Verizon wifi capable phone, and use the Verizon SIM card, you can use wifi calling when wifi is available.  If you need data in China, buying a cheap prepaid is the way to go.  There is no one phone perfect solution for China. 

0 Likes