Can I use a bluetooth keyboard with my PC and my device?
GeorgaiJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to use external input devices - a keyboard and mouse - for my Samsung Galaxy S4, SCH-i545, Android 5.0 Lollipop.  I've seen YouTube videos where a USB mouse or keyboard were connected through a powered USB hub seemed to work.  Elsewhere I've read that only Bluetooth devices will work, and in some cases that only specific Bluetooth devices meeting Android requirements will work.  I have been unable to get USB mice or keyboards to work and I haven't tried Bluetooth or Android-specific Bluetooth.  Can anyone tell me what will work or better still, is there a list of devices approved by Android/Samsung?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: External Input Devices
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

OK Got you now. You are trying to replace your PC Keyboard and mouse and would like to be able to use that on your phone as well instead of buying 2 of each (1 for PC and 1 for phone).  The Bluetooth keyboards and mice that will work on your PC will also work on your android as the Bluetooth command is a standardized command. Logitech makes one, Motorola makes one as well although harder to find and I believe Microsoft is even making one these days.  I did have Bluetooth Mice and Keyboards at work and my phone as well as my laptop worked perfectly on these devices.

View solution in original post

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I have tried both USB and Bluetooth devices on my Android phone and the Bluetooth work the best for me. USB was real slow, didn't always take so had to be constantly setup and then only worked so-so.

GeorgaiJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Were the Bluetooth devices Android-specific or just standard Bluetooth?  I assume you're referring to a keyboard and/or mouse, correct?

Thank you. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I am referring to Keyboard and mouse and no they are not android specific. You can get Android Specific but I opted for one that will work on both Android and IOS.

GeorgaiJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I'm asking the question wrong - you're talking to an Android newbie here!  I need to replace the wireless keyboard for my PC anyway, and I know Bluetooth will work with Windows and iOS.  Reading some of the sellers' information, however, makes it sound like one needs a Bluetooth keyboard (or mouse) with specific Android capability if you want to use it with your Android device, i.e., just any ol' Bluetooth input device won't work with Android.

Using your keyboard and mouse as an example, were they "just" Bluetooth and worked with your Android device anyway, or did the manufacturer claim specifically that they would also work with Android, that that was a feature above and beyond normal Bluetooth?

Am I making sense?  In other words, I don't want to go out and buy a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse only to return them because they won't work with my Android phone.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

OK Got you now. You are trying to replace your PC Keyboard and mouse and would like to be able to use that on your phone as well instead of buying 2 of each (1 for PC and 1 for phone).  The Bluetooth keyboards and mice that will work on your PC will also work on your android as the Bluetooth command is a standardized command. Logitech makes one, Motorola makes one as well although harder to find and I believe Microsoft is even making one these days.  I did have Bluetooth Mice and Keyboards at work and my phone as well as my laptop worked perfectly on these devices.

GeorgaiJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Elegantly put, Jakeman1.  Now why couldn't I have asked it like that?  Thanks for the answer.  Advertising hype can be confusing!

Cheers Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Thank you.  No worries on how you asked, when I read these I tend to separate PC's from Phones and tend to look down the phone solution. Not bad though a couple back and forth posts.  Have a great day!!!