Can Wifi calling from a home network be a preferred option?
MSMITTYJES
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a reliable Wifi network at home.  My wifi calling feature intermittently comes on and off for various calls.  Is there a way that I can use my home Wifi network as the primary and the Verizon cellular network as a backup?  Currently it is reversed where a phone call will connect to the Verizon Cellular network and switch to Wifi.  The problem is switching to wifi is inconsistent and you never know when it will switch over.  I would like for the call to connect and if wifi is available it automatically switches over to wifi

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can Wifi calling from a home network be a preferred option?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried using Airplane Mode at home and turn back on the wifi radio to only allow the wifi to be used for your connections?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried using Airplane Mode at home and turn back on the wifi radio to only allow the wifi to be used for your connections?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

MSMITTYJES
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Ann,

No I have not tried that but I will as that is a very interesting idea.  So the premise is that in airplane mode, you only have Wifi access and hence the phone calls should come through wifi.  Well that is theory and I am certainly going to test it and report back.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I really appreciate you giving WiFi Calling a shot, MSMITTYJES. We work hard to get you the best possible service when you're out and about but it’s a really great feature to have when you’re indoors. Ann154 did have an excellent idea to ensure your phone only connects to WiFi while you’re home. How did that test work out for you? What model phone do you have?

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MSMITTYJES
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was actually going to respond today. The solution that Ann suggested actually worked. The only thing I have to remember is when I turn airplane mode on, make surr the wifirst connection is active. 

I do have another question. Why does my Samain S5 lose the Verizon mobile network in various locations.  It never did that before. I ensure all the software updates are installed. Is there a way to fix it? I often have to turn my phone off and on again which usually helps.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
MSMITTYJES
Enthusiast - Level 1

The proposed solution that Ann had suggested worked well.  You just need to ensure that when you switch to airplane mode, that you ensure your wifi connection is on.

0 Likes
MSMITTYJES
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Jennifer,

I did not see any "Correct Answer" response button underneath your response

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you looking at the thread on the Verizon Wireless Community website and not an email notification of the post?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

MSMITTYJES wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

I did not see any "Correct Answer" response button underneath your response

Ann gave you the correct answer so make sure you mark her correct, not the person asking to get marked correct.