Re: Can you uninstall lollipop 5.0 and go back to 4.4.4 kitkat?
mama23dogs
Legend

I Got 2 updates in 24 hours.  My phone was running 4.4.2 for almost a year.  Tuesday morning I got the notice of a carrier update and it updated to 4.4.4 in a short time.

Wednesday I got the notice to update to 5.0.  It's a huge update, over a GB. And it took over an hour just to download on my 100 MBps wifi. And at least another hour to finish the update. 

The good news is it's in perfect running order.

IF your phone is not running well.  And a factory reset hasn't fixed it, take it to Verizon and have it reflashed

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I don't mean to burst any one's hope but Unless things have changed or some stores still allow the Flashing of the software Verizon does not allow of it any longer.. At least at the area stores I visit won't do it because I asked not to long ago And was Surprised it had been stopped the stores can still transfer phone information like phone Numbers but that's about it..  As I was told..

mama23dogs
Legend

Well thats a problem.  Best Buy will do Samsung phones, but don't have the update, or so the rumor goes.

( BTW,  no pastel for spring? )

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

In another thread which I can't put my hands on, someone posted a link to a site holding all past Samsung revs. It's possible to go backwards...

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I Hate to disagree (warning, certain discussions are NOT allowed on the forum and will be deleted)

the  bootloaders on these phones are locked.  It is not possible to go backwards after 4.4.2.  Rooting is not available for the more current Android versions.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

It's OK if you disagree. First off, I'm aware that we must not discuss "modding" devices, for example, giving people super-user privs (rhymes with "boot"). Doing so would void a warranty.

In this case I think the other thread was referencing SW repair, and nothing other than what might be achieved if someone visited BestBuy, which if you didn't purchase a phone there, well, that would be a bit sticky. In fact, I think I've seen VZW posts where they offered links to the tool, and re-installing lollipop that way if a OTA failed.

I believe the other post pointed to people using a VZW sanctioned tool to re-install the STOCK firmware of KitKat. This would be no more "modifying the device" than say deciding not to take the OTA (which evidently was an option), or going to BestBuy and having them flash the device.

I just don't think the statement is factually correct. I admit, I could be wrong. Smiley Happy

mama23dogs
Legend

Understood . 

I believe the other post pointed to people using a VZW sanctioned tool to re-install the STOCK firmware of KitKat. This would be no more "modifying the device" than say deciding not to take the OTA (which evidently was an option), or going to BestBuy and having them flash the device.

..........this is what I believe "re-flashing" is. 

THis was a massive update for my phone.  Over 1 GB and took over 2 hours to complete .  I plugged my phone to charge as it was only 55% when it started and I was afraid of what might happen if power dropped.  Thank goodness my wifi stayed steady also.

0 Likes
ckronengold
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just following up on what Stef added, you are physically able to go back provided you use the Samsung-approved Odin tool.

I can confirm that I have gone back from 4.4.4 to 4.4.2 b/c of bluetooth compatibility with my car.  I also went back from 5.0 to 4.4.4 after I was frustrated with the first OTA update to Lollipop.  No rooting required. Its just physically installing the factory update via USB instead of OTA. If it is a problem, I'd be shocked. And like Stef, I'm happy to admit that I could be wrong as well.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I found one site where the method is discussed, since I misplaced the other post. Smiley Happy

One could Google: How to Fix Firmware Upgrade Galaxy S5

That would lead one to a site to learn how to use the Odin and Kies. It's not the same site the other poster made, but I think helpful.

0 Likes
MoparMan1991
Enthusiast - Level 2

Regardless of what everyone says, you actually can, by using whats called ODIN.How to downgrade the Galaxy S5 from Lollipop to KitKat - AndroidPIT

0 Likes