Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,083 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Cannot Connect to Verizon after Android 8 Update
majgenrelativity
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Samsung Galaxy S8, and I recently updated my system software through the Samsung Smart Connect software. After the phone restarted, it was unable to connect to Verizon Wireless. If I try to select it in the Mobile Network menu, it says "Registering" for about a minute, and then informs me that service is unavailable. If I type *228 into my phone app, it tells me that my SIM card has activated my service and it gives me my phone number, but I cannot place any calls. If I try to place a call, it says "Not registered on network", and won't even get to dialing. Data and text are also inoperative.

0 Likes
Re: Cannot Connect to Verizon after Android 8 Update
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't dial *228 on a 4G phone; PRL updates and activation are handled by the SIM card.

Have you tried turning off the phone and removing the SIM card for a minute or so?

Remove SIM Card - Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ | Verizon Wireless

Once the SIM card is replaced in the phone and it boots back up, if you still have an issue it may be that the SIM card has become corrupted.  You can get a new one free at your local Corporate VzW store or by contacting Customer Service.

Contact Us | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

*228 can supposedly ruin a smart phone.

0 Likes
majgenrelativity
Enthusiast - Level 2

I figured updates and activation were handled by the SIM card, as that's how it worked in the past. I was just trying whatever I could find online that didn't seem like it'd break my phone if I did it wrong. I have put the phone through multiple reboot cycles with and without a SIM card, and it does not work. I also ordered a new SIM card, and it has the same issue. It will work in my Samsung Galaxy S5 backup phone, but if I insert it into my S8, it will not work.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize that you are having so many problems with your device after the Android update, but we are here to help in any way that we can. Reading through the thread, I can see that you have taken a couple steps on your own to get this fixed and I appreciate you helping me understand what you have done. I want to make sure that I fully understand what you are experiencing so we can fix this. You mentioned the error that you are getting says, "unable to connect to Verizon Wireless". This is taking place even after replacing the sim card, correct? Is there any physical or water damage to this device? After the update, did you also update all the downloaded 3rd party applications? Have you backed up your personal information to the Verizon Cloud? Does you device connect to wifi?

Nichole_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
majgenrelativity
Enthusiast - Level 2

It does take place even after buying a new SIM card and activating the card, correct. There is no physical or water damage that I can see, and it rested on my desk while the upgrade was in process. All 3rd party downloaded applications were updated as well. I have not backed up my personal information to Verizon Cloud, as I use Google for that instead. WiFi connectivity has been completely unaffected.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

majgenrelativity,

I appreciate those details, as it helps us narrow down on the root cause of this connection issue you're dealing with currently. I'm glad to hear your phone is in great shape still, so Let's get you back up and running the way you're supposed to be. I know you mentioned the verbiage was Not Registered to Network when you place a call, but did you hear an Announcement message number by chance? Also, how is your phone currently set up for the network connection? You can view this by following the steps here: http://spr.ly/6585DAH9d.

We look forward to getting this resolved for you.

Ryan_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
majgenrelativity
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, I don't hear any announcment message number. My phone merely displays the "Not Registered to Network" text box prompt immediately after pressing the call button. No audio message is played, and that's the only message I get before I am returned to my contacts or dialer. Under "Network Mode" in Mobile Networks, it is set to "LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)"

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for continuing to work with us. The next logical step is to perform a Network Settings Reset. This will only erase Wi-Fi and Bluetooth information. Here are those steps for your Samsung Galaxy S8: Settings> General Management Reset. Then, tap Rest Settings. Once this is complete, please test the device again.

0 Likes
majgenrelativity
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, that did not work. I reset my network settings (losing all my WiFi saved passwords in the process), and the same problem persisted.

0 Likes