Company discount not being honored.
gwgonyea
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just wanted to formally say that I am going to port my # to another provider as soon as I can without incurring more fees. I got my son a new phone for Christmas. At the time I was receiving a 20% discount through my employer. When I started the new plan, I discovered that I was no longer receiving the discount so I called and was informed that the new plans were not compatible with the discount. I would have never made this deal if I had known that I would be dropped from the discount. I now have a bill that is similar to another car payment. Thanks for the bait and switch, Verizon!

Labels (1)
Re: Company discount not being honored.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important to have access to all the discounts you are afforded. In regard to our employee discounts, they are applicable to metered, data plans such as the 2GB, 4GB and 8GB plans. If you have an unlimited plan, employee discounts would not apply, please see the link below. However, with our new unlimited plans, you can save $10 per phone line if you set up auto pay with a checking account or debit card.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/employee-discount-validation-faqs/

JoshuaC_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@gwgonyea wrote:

I just wanted to formally say that I am going to port my # to another provider as soon as I can without incurring more fees. I got my son a new phone for Christmas. At the time I was receiving a 20% discount through my employer. When I started the new plan, I discovered that I was no longer receiving the discount so I called and was informed that the new plans were not compatible with the discount. I would have never made this deal if I had known that I would be dropped from the discount. I now have a bill that is similar to another car payment. Thanks for the bait and switch, Verizon!

You will find other carriers do not permit your discount on unlimited data plans either.  AT&T will not, I lost mine when I changed to unlimited.  
Only military, veteran or first responders can get a discount on unlimited.

gwgonyea
Enthusiast - Level 1

Right, and I think this "bait and switch" tactic from Verizon is scummy. I would not have gone ahead with this if I had known this would happen. I don't really care if other providers don't honor their discounts. I just prefer to not give my money to a corporation that conducts business like this.

rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, Verizon DOES honor their discounts. In the past, not all plans were eligible for a discount. Simply because the plan you previously had was eligible does not mean there weren't others that were not. For example, loyalty plans were not eligible and data plans under a certain price threshold were not eligible. Additionally, if you had a family plan with data on more than one line, only the primary line was eligible for a discount on data. This has been the case for at least the past 15 years, probably longer.

When Verizon re-introduced unllimited data a couple of years ago, Verizon indicated these unlimited data plans would not be eligible for employer discounts. This was not hidden from the public. It was annoucned at the same time the unlimited plans were announced. It is posted in the faq for each of the different tiers of unlimited data. This is just a case of Verizon not including ALL plans being eligible for discounts. There have ALWAYS been requirements in order to receive a discount and one of those requirements was that you were enrolled in an eligible plan, no different from the past. Verizon will STILL "honor" your discount if you choose to switch to a plan which is eligible for said discount. Those would include shared data plans, but not unlimited data plans.

If you choose to switch your plan before checking to see if your discount is eligible for the plan you would like to have, that is on you, not Verizon. The following is clearly listed on Verizon's website regarding discounts:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/discount-program/

Qualifying for your Verizon Wireless discount.

Here are a few important things to know about receiving your discount:

• Your employer or organization has to have an agreement with Verizon Wireless that provides a discount for their associates.
  • You must be on an eligible calling plan*.

These are general guidelines. Please visit our Discount Registration How to Guide for detailed information on these qualifications.

*Unless otherwise noted, discounts apply to plan monthly access fees of $34.99 or higher, and data features of $24.99 or higher, when added to a plan of $34.99 or higher. On plans with separate account and line fees, discounts apply only to the Account Access fees. Plans not eligible for discounting include, but are not limited to: Prepaid, already discounted promotional plans, unlimited consumer plans, standalone or unlimited connected plans, or data only plans.

mama23dogs
Legend

@rcschnoor   👍🏼👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🤝🤸🏼‍♀️🤸🏼‍♀️🤸🏼‍♀️🤸🏼‍♀️🤸🏼‍♀️🏆 

Always well written and on the spot.   Great post!

I will add that my union had an agreement with AT&T, so it kept me with them for a couple years longer.  At the time Verizon and AT&T had almost identicle plans and prices, but the 22% was only good with AT&T.   I had a couple work arounds for another year.   All the while I kept reviewing my alternatives and how much I was paying.

it got to the point that I could move all of my lines plus my mother onto Verizon's mix-and-match unlimited plan and actually save everybody a couple of box, and get my mothers phone replaced with a newer model.   

I did my own math, because the prices are published for all to see.

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@gwgonyea wrote:

Right, and I think this "bait and switch" tactic from Verizon is scummy. I would not have gone ahead with this if I had known this would happen. I don't really care if other providers don't honor their discounts. I just prefer to not give my money to a corporation that conducts business like this.

That is precisly why Verizon wants to move everyone from grandfathered plans to these new more expensive Mix and match dollar for dollar plans. I have a 22% plan on my grandfathered loyalty 550 minute plan. It takes off a total of $22 dollars a month off my monthly bill. $11 off my access plan/line access fee and $11 off my grandfathered unlimited data. Total bill comes out to $97 before taxes and fees for 2 lines. Unfortunately I believe the representative you spoke with lied to you in an effort to get you to a more expensive plan. Once they move you to these new plans, I believe it will be difficult for you to go back to your previous plan. That is why I always recommend upgrading your phones through customer service representatives as opposed to store sales representatives. Sorry that they moved you to a new more expensive plan. Don't go to TMoBlow or Sprint out of the store, those companies network stink and you will see the degrade in service if you move. 

For you, I will use 200 GB of data this month to stick it to Verizon.   

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never like to learn that our customers are upset with us, gwgonyea. We'd be sad to see you leave the Verizon Wireless family. As mentioned, the new unlimited data plans would not be eligible for the monthly employee discount. You will still be able to take advantage of the other perks of your employee discount such as discounts on accessories. You can always receive a monthly discount if you were to set up auto-pay with debit card or checking account. KevinR_VZW

0 Likes
NurseNay
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can not agree more.  BEFORE I switched providers I spent my entire lunch break in my car going over every detail multiple times BEFORE I agreed to switch.  Im a nurse and was told that I would see my discount on my next billing cycle.  I have been in contact with Verizon on various platforms, Social Media, email, on line chat with NUMEROUS representatives.  Each call I am told something different.  My bill is now $20 more expensive for the same service.  Today, I spent my entire break in my car again on the phone with Verizon.  Rarely do I get a break to begin with.  This is my 5th call to Verizon in reference to this same subject.  Today, I was told that my Nurse discount does not apply because I am on an unlimited plan.  I explained that I SPECIFICALLY ASKED THIS VERY QUESTION 3 months ago when I signed up for Verizon.  I asked to speak with a supervisor several times but was never transferred.  My response by the Rep was "I've reached out".  She then said she made a mistake and that I do qualify for the discount.  Unfortunately for me, my break was over and I was not able to confirm this for my next billing cycle.  SO, I will have to now make a 6th phone call on this same subject matter.  I should note that I have submitted a copy of my nursing license and received back confirmation of such since 8/20.  Verizon still says they have no confirmation of my nursing license.  I have the screen shots as proof.  The promotion they offered was  SCAM.  I will be switching carries as soon as I can get another lunch break.  

mama23dogs
Legend
0 Likes