Contact not syncing from gmail account?
warrior177
Enthusiast - Level 1

Got a new S7 edge today, to replace my previous Nokia Windows phone. I had them set it up at the local Verizon store. They said it would be a little bit of trouble to transfer my contacts to the new phone, so I said, I could do it at home.

Well that doesn't seem to be as easy as I though it would be.

I added my Google account, and set it to sync my contacts, but I am only getting a list of 18 contacts in my phone contact list, and a lot of those are Verizon contacts (bal,data,min, etc.)

So, I thought I'll just import a csv. file of my Google contacts. But I see no options for importing such a file.

Thanks for any help!

Charlie

0 Likes
Re: Contact not syncing from gmail account?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Charlie, we want to help you get this resolved. Do you remember backing up to the Verizon Cloud?

EstebanP_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: Contact not syncing from gmail account?
KenobiBen
Enthusiast - Level 2

My guess is that response was unhelpful as you didn't ask my google contacts not syncing, I want to switch to Verizon cloud but rather, how do i get my google contacts to sync?

Had the same problem. There are a couple of things, first off is if power saver is on, it basically shuts off all the apps on the phone now, I don't know why but luckily you can change which apps get turned off. Go into settings-->battery-->More-->optimize battery. Here can you modify what apps get "optimized" which is basically turned off. Deselect the apps associated with google and syncing (email as well) and that should work.

An easier option is to just turn power saver off...when off and auto sync turned on it should work.

Oh, and for import, contacts app-->more-->settings-->import/export contacts is where you can import although I'm not sure if it will accept .csv files. You might have to use the .vcard file type but it's worth a shot. If you still have your old phone goto contacts and there should be an option in there to export your contacts in vcard format.

Let me know if this doesn't work cause I've also seen people complain about this (myself included) but when adding your google account through the setup wizard (when activating the phone) for some reason it doesn't do it right. I deleted my google account (settings-->accounts), restarted phone, went back in and added my google account and it did sync them.

Sorry, brain thinking so out of order but before you delete the account goto settings-->accounts-->google and deselect all the options but contacts and hit sync now. It can take quite a while for everything to sync for the first time for some reason...this will prioritize the contacts.

Lastly, just to make sure syncing is working you can download "google calendar" from the play store (this app has a refresh now option that will manually sync immediately, for some reason the stock s7 calendar app doesn't have this option, why????????????) and then goto google calendar form a web browser (chrome) and create a calendar and an event in the calendar there and save. Open the google calendar app-->more-->refresh now and you should see the event appear (make sure google calendar sync is enabled in that sync screen I mentioned earlier and that the stock s7 calendar app has sync enabled (for some reason this affects syncing globally even if you don't use that app).