Re: Custom contact notification sounds gone
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

I honestly do not foresee this issue being fixed by Samsung and therefore people will be forced to move to an iPhone or use yet another third party messaging app in order to the get the text messaging tone feature back.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NRGDC,

We want to help as much as possible when it comes to tech issues. Your business is definitely appreciated & we wouldn't want to see you leave us at all. I'm very sorry to read that a software update has removed the ability to set custom notification sounds. The software updates are done by the manufacturer & Verizon Wireless does extensive testing with the manufacturer to make sure all enhancements work correctly before we release them to our customers. Regrettably, there is not a way to go back to an older software version. I can understand not wanting to move to another text app that may have this ability, but it is always an option. I do want to look into this further for you & I want to do all that I can to change this experience around so that we can keep you as our valued customer. I have sent you a Private Message so that I can gather much-needed information to assist you further. Please respond back to me in the Private Message to continue.

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Sweetpeawalker
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been told by the Samsung reps that Verizon is the only company that

has disabled the individual text message sounds and is forcing its

customers to use its inferior text app. This is unacceptable customer

service and so is Verizon's continued denial of causing customer service

dissatisfaction. Please forward my complaint to the appropriate team.

Samsung is not taking responsibility for Verizon's poor choices of

unsatisfactory customer service. I'll not be buying an inferior piece of

technology, as you ridiculously recommend, to remedy this issue, but I'll

certainly look into less inferior cell service.

Sincerely,

Amy [removed]

Content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

deloused
Master - Level 3

Wow that’s terrible that Samsung would lie to you like that! Check out the Android/Samsung forum websites, or an internet search on the subject and you’ll find numerous complaints on the issue from  Samsung users on Verizon, T-Mobile, At&t and also foreign providers.

Samsung removed the feature from their apps with the Oreo software version. No carrier (Verizon or otherwise) had anything to do with the change.

There’s no need to use any inferior app, nor any required cost to use a different texting app. There are several free options to choose from in the Play Store that many users prefer over the stock app. You could keep using the Samsung Messaging App if you prefer, or try a third party app that offers more functionality and customization like the feature that Samsung removed from all of their devices with their new software version

Kathy1230
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, my husband and I both have Samsung Galaxy 8 plus phones and we are very upset that these custom sounds are gone!  Those custom sounds allowed us to know who was trying to contact us.  We hate this and want them to put this feature back on our phones  ASAP!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sherwooddoggie, I know how important it is to make sure that you able to distinguish the text tones from one another. I want to make sure that we get everything addressed for you. You have to go tap the contact that you would like to edit. There's a "View More" at the bottom. Tap on that and there will be a section for contact ringtone and SMS tone. There you will be able to customize the sound that you would like to hear for your text messages that will be coming in.

JenniferL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

LenniePaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm trying to figure out why everyone is so in love with the Samsung stock messaging app . What's so special about it, that any other messaging app can't do?

SALNEA56
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi

I have the same problem.  In my contacts a message ringtone is not available.  Now it makes a small sound when I get a text.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to tell who's messaging you is very important, KATWAL47. While a software update is meant to enhance the performance of a device, some features can also be taken away. We can lift up your feedback. LenniePaz had a great suggestion to try the Messages Plus application, as it still allows you to customize the notification sounds for your messages.

LynnD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LenniePaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Lynn, my only issue with Messages Plus, is that the green LED notification doesn't work now. Only the blue LED works with texts now .I liked having green, because my Emails are blue .Any chance this will be fixed?