Delay in Widget Update
EBinazeski

I noticed when not using the lock screen that widgets update when screen wakes.  The most annoying is the clock updating from the time last displayed when phone was last woken.  Seems to happen with all widgets, not just certain ones.  Spoke to Samsung and had me take it to Best Buy to re-update Android with no resolution.  Phone is 7 weeks old running Android 5.0.1 and latest Samsung firmware.  Any other suggested remedies?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Delay in Widget Update
SandiaChelle22
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issues with my SG4 and I had to click and open my widgets and return to main screen in order to get the updated weather and times. I guess there's a glitch. So I fixed it by  disabling the location completely and removed my current location from widget then restarted the phone. The widget was able to get updates as always when I turned on the location again.

I hope that helps you out.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

A lot of apps and their widgets temporarily suspend when the screen is locked or off and then update when the screen is woken up.  Might also depend on how many processes and apps are open at the time of waking up.

0 Likes
EBinazeski

I realize this.  Happens even with the stock Samsung widgets.  Not much running on the device.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
EBinazeski We appreciate the steps you have taken so far to resolve this issue. I know how important it is for you to get the widget updates loaded on your phone as soon as possible. We want to keep you with the latest and greatest features. I see you mentioned the clock updating widget has been giving you problems. Can you tell me exactly what the phone is doing when the widget updates? Have you noticed any changes with the data usage or your battery life draining when this happens?

VeronicaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
EBinazeski

What happens is it quickly goes from the last time the phone displayed while the screen was on before going off to the current time.  For example, the last time the screen was on, it displayed 5:00.  The phone screen has been off for a little over 2 hours and the current time is 7:12.  Whan you wake the phone, for a split second you will see 5:00 and then it updates to 7:12.  Depending on the digits in the minutes and how long the screen has been off, the time may first update to 7:10, then the single minutes will creep to :11 and then :12.

What I have noticed when trying other widgets is that they all do not update when the screen is off, just when screen is turned on.  Within a half second of the screen waking they update.  It is almost like the phone knows the widget was updated by takes a half a second to display the update. 

0 Likes
SandiaChelle22
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issues with my SG4 and I had to click and open my widgets and return to main screen in order to get the updated weather and times. I guess there's a glitch. So I fixed it by  disabling the location completely and removed my current location from widget then restarted the phone. The widget was able to get updates as always when I turned on the location again.

I hope that helps you out.

0 Likes
EBinazeski

This also happens with widgets that just provide notifications that are not location sensitive.  I noticed this when I use a 3rd party lock screen app.  Time and notifications update on screen when screen is turned on.  Even music player info updates from last song when screen was turned on to the current one playing.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to ensure you stay updated with the right information at the right time. Has this also been tested on the native lock screen and not the 3rd party lock screen app?
YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes