Did version 6.0.1 upgrade on G5 cause password to be required on startup?
JohnQCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

My G5 used to allow access via a fingerprint, even after a restart.  Now it insists on a password.  This started when I installed 6.0.1.  If it is supposed to be a security enhancement, it needs to be optional.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Did version 6.0.1 upgrade on G5 cause password to be required on startup?
Klue
Master - Level 1

This taken from the Galaxy S6 User on line guide. It should apply to all phones using fingerprint unlock using Marshmellow 6.0.1.

"Samsung made substantial changes on the usage of fingerprint to unlock Galaxy S6 in this Android Marshmallow update. You must use other lock screen security methods together with fingerprint. Fingerprint cannot be used to unlock the phone after a reboot, or after 24 hours of inactivity. You also cannot use fingerprint to change lock screen security methods. After applying Android Marshmallow update, fingerprint is no longer a standalone method to unlock the Galaxy S6. In other words, fingerprint requires you to set up another lock screen security."

View solution in original post

Klue
Master - Level 1

This taken from the Galaxy S6 User on line guide. It should apply to all phones using fingerprint unlock using Marshmellow 6.0.1.

"Samsung made substantial changes on the usage of fingerprint to unlock Galaxy S6 in this Android Marshmallow update. You must use other lock screen security methods together with fingerprint. Fingerprint cannot be used to unlock the phone after a reboot, or after 24 hours of inactivity. You also cannot use fingerprint to change lock screen security methods. After applying Android Marshmallow update, fingerprint is no longer a standalone method to unlock the Galaxy S6. In other words, fingerprint requires you to set up another lock screen security."

JohnQCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Klue.  I appreciate the clarity.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

everything else ok with the update??

0 Likes
JohnQCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

No other problems, thanks.  Overall, I think marshmallow looks and runs better.  Nice work devs!

bearone21
Legend

thank you

0 Likes
noonietunes

yes, and it said my password was wrong and basically reset everything and deleted all my apps on the sd card.  When i logged in with new password, all download history was blank... I need my apps back! Some were paid for !!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Noonietunes

Getting the latest and greatest updates for your phone should improve your experience. Did your phone perform a factory reset? Did you have more than one Google account signed into your phone? Where did you purchase your apps from?

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
noonietunes

So I found if you forget the email you originally registered with google play, it will create a new account with your new email as if it were already registered.  I was able to find the original email I used with google play, so was able to add the original account and re-download apps.  However......

My major issue with the marshmallow upgrade (there are 2) is this: it ERASED my photos and everything from my SD card.  I had not done a back up to cloud since december, so i LOST everthing since then.  NOT ACCEPTABLE!!

2nd issue:  I can re-download my apps, but the OS will only allow me to move 1/4 of them to the SD card!!!  NOT ACCEPTABLE.  So now I have 4gig free on my internal memory and 14 gig free on my SD card.. and also none of the photos that were there are recoverable.

I wasn't even really given the option to back up everything first as my phone lost it's charge and immediately proceeded to the upgrade when I plugged it in without my consent/intervention.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am glad you were able to recover your original Google Play email address, Noonietunes. Losing photos is never acceptable and I am devastated hearing that this happened. Have you tried to take the SD card out of the phone and connect it to a computer to see if the files are still there?

I also know how important it is to keep storage on your phone, and want to make sure you can have enough storage moving forward. Are there any specific applications that could be moved to the SD card prior to the update that are no longer allowing you to move them now?

JosephE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes