Re: Disastrous Firmware Upgrade Ruins 4G Reception, Other Issues
Dampier
Enthusiast - Level 2

Elector wrote:

There is no credible evidence it is/was the caller id app that was added to the Samsung Suite.

Other owners on other services are having problems and I don't think they will install Verizons Caller Id program on their phones now would they?

Samsung has admitted the flaw and they are working on a fix. The update I have read has also been pulled.

So something is being done.

Some clarification is in order here.

There is enormously credible evidence Verizon's bloatware Caller ID app is completely and entirely responsible for the dual Wi-FI and 3G/4G radios being left on simultaneously (a battery hog and major bug) because one can solve the problem instantly and permanently by disabling the app in question. This app is not produced by Samsung. It is a Verizon-affiliated app.

However, there is no evidence this app is responsible for the deteriorated 4G network speeds. In fact, it is very unlikely it is responsible because the problems persist even after the app is disabled.

There are multiple serious bugs in this latest firmware release that exist independent of one another.

I am not sure what you mean about "other owners on other services."

thornbe
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you are experiencing problems with your S3 after the most recent update and haven't called Verizon Support, please do so ASAP.

I went to a Verizon Wireless Corporate store yesterday and the rep had no idea an update was pushed out.

He said Samsung is responsible for "pushing" the updates.

He said I was the first person to come into the store with this problem.

He said I needed to call Verizon Support and ask for Tier 2 support and he thanked me for my patience.

Then he told me a story about the issues with his daughter's Samsung Fascinate two years ago.

I called VZW Support and spoke with the rep, who was very helpful.  She took my information and said they are definitely aware of the issue.  Samsung is asking for Baseband version, Build number, Hardware version and usage locations.  I told her all of the steps I performed and she asked if I did a Factory Reset.  I told her no, because that didn't help resolve the issue on other S3 owner's phones and she said that was fine.  She told me she would also get back with me within a week.  Let's see if this happens.

Please call VZW Support to accurately measure the number of S3's that are having issues.

Not applicable

This phone is on other cellular networks (AT&T, Sprint etc) there are complaints about this phone on their networks and not just verizons.

The caller id bloatware could be as you wrote a partial problem and yes I have read if removed (turned off) part of the update issue is fixed. But the real problem lies with Samsung and its written that now they are aware of it and working on a fix.

0 Likes
JAG28CO1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Elector you might be right about the problem coming from Samsung firmware but ultimately is up to the provider to test the update.  Specially if they make modifications to the firmware that Samsung approved.   I work deploying software and I had send many packages back to the developers because I find errors or our test group finds errors.   This error is a really big Issue and like you said "Other Cellular Networks are complaining about issues"  So, there was an known issue with Samsung's firmware but Verizon made the decision of sending it out anyway.   ????  Probably Verizon just wanted the bloatware install and the income that might come from that.

My problem with the bloatware is that they are already making a lot of money on us.  It was stated on their last quarterly report.  They are hoping that a lot of people who are not technical forget about the 2.99 and never cancel the service on time. This practice should not be allowed.   What is worst is that we as their clients allow this to happen.    

0 Likes
Not applicable

I have long advocated that cellular providers have nothing to do with updates or anything outside of just providing the connection for the calls and data. Apple knew this when they had the hottest device out there. Verizon and others were not allowed to tinker or add nothing to their device. Samsung and others should have done the same.

The carriers via adding or in many cases subtracting from the stock devices are causing the problems that are getting more and more customers angry. The federal government should step in and make it that Verizon cannot tinker with any cell phone and if a customer wants any app they can install it or delete it as the customer wants and not what the carriers want.

There should not be ad's on my phone or devices since I paid for the devices and not the carriers. There should be no tracking outside of my location for cell and data connectivity. We as a society are allowing this to happen too much power is given to these major corporations the purchasing of our cell service should end at the start and termination of our calls, or text and mms messages, our data connections. That is all a provider should provide, nothing more.

We should to be able to use any phones we want as long as its compatible with the technology (cdma-gsmhspa+) But until the government steps in and makes rules and laws we will continue to be taken by these cellular providers. The madness has to stop.

0 Likes
telveer
Contributor - Level 1

This is, beyond a doubt, a problem with the update.

I had perfectly working 4G before the upgrade. Now it cuts out all the time. Speedtest app fails most of the tests, and when it works, its very very slow! Most apps (including Google Play) are extremely slow and in many cases, time out with "retry" or "no internet" message. The only time I get acceptable 4G is when I have a very good signal.

I reset the phone a couple of times (clearing data/cache on both occasions), switched between Global and LTE/CDMA, disabled Caller ID app (though it is not likely related), flipped Airline toggle, flipped Mobile Data toggle, and today, I even got the SIM card replaced at a VZW Store - but the problem still exists.

If you are affected by this proble, there are two options .. go to the dentist and switch the radio to VRBMB1 (I can state that this fixes the issue) or wait for Verizon to push a fix. I don't think getting a replacement phone will fix the issue because this does not appear to be a hardware problem.

Verizon better get working on delivering a fix ASAP. This is one of their flagship phones and this issue has affected many users (all people in my office that use VZW GS3 were affected by this update). Some of them pay extra money to VZW for Business use and they are very upset because their email and calendar apps are not getting updates properly anymore!

0 Likes
telveer
Contributor - Level 1

I fully agree. If you can somehow switch back to VRBMB1 radio, that will solve he problem.

0 Likes
jz68

Disabling the caller ID app resolved all of my issues. 

0 Likes
Jezza819
Enthusiast - Level 2

Where is this caller ID app? Since you disabled it so you still have caller ID of any kind?

0 Likes
Superman302383948

Yes, but Verizon Wireless pushed this software to SG3 users. If they failed to completely test the software they are responsible. On the other hand I do not understand why Verizon Wireless has not communicated the mistake and are workin on a solution. I am paying for a service that I am not receiving. I am paying for 5 GB of data that I am not able to use.

Give me a break!

0 Likes